Pierre Monteux 14 CD set

Started by sdtom, Wednesday 19 August 2009, 04:14

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

Do any of you own or have experience with this set released in 1994 by RCA.  I have a highlight edition and am curious if this is something I should think about pursuing or not.
Thomas

edurban

I bought a few of them individually, like the d'Indy disc (Symphony on a French Mountain Air, Fervaal Prelude, Symphony No.2)  Very good for unhackneyed French repertoire, but many are recordings from Monteux's wartime stint with the San Francisco Symphony (not an A-class orchestra in those days.) and the sound & orchestral playing were often improved on in his later RCA recordings.  But there are some things, like the d'Indy disc you just won't find elsewhere.  Still, at 14 discs, I'd think it was a Monteux completist item.  The sound especially shows its age...

mbhaub

Here's my take: there were, in the last century, a handful of conductors who just seemed to do everything "right". The music sounds natural in their hands with no gimmicks, no nonsense. There's no attempt to impose their will and ruin the music. They are few: Reiner, Munch, Monteux, and to a lesser extent, Paray. I have the sets RCA issued for Reiner and Monteux and wouldn't let them go for anything. The music making is just so wonderful and enticing. The sound isn't modern to be sure, but that's not a problem with the level of music making. If great conducting interests you, yes, get the Monteux set.

There's also a great 7-cd set on Decca that's well worth getting.

sdtom

I do own several of the Reiner/Living Stereo series and I've found them superb, some of the better recordings I've heard with more than adequate sound.  Thanks for the feedback so far.

edurban

Thomas, I've got to agree with you about the Living Stereos, superb they are.  Many of them are in the set, like the 1961 Franck Symphony with Boston.  Also on that disc is the d'Indy Istar Variations, but this time from San Francisco in 1945.  Still, the conducting is uniformly marvelous...

David

edurban

Your thread inspired me to listen to that Monteux Franck Symphony again.  Truly, it's a brilliant performance.  Makes me afraid to go hear Muti conduct the piece at the New York Philharmonic next season.  Just amazing.

Davdi

mbhaub

I'd like to hear that! Muti does a fine Franck -- it's not Monteux's vision, but superb anyway. More dramatic, fiery. If there is any work more malleable than the Franck and subject to wider interpretation, I can't think of what it is! BTW, the worst version of the Franck ever committed to disk comes from a surprising source: Barbirolli and the Czech Phil. What he does at the very close is ridiculous and a perfect example of what I mean by conductors messing up the music and doing their own thing.

sdtom

There is just so much great material to listen to and not enough hours in the day.
Thomas

mbhaub