News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Dutch Music

Started by jerfilm, Tuesday 23 August 2011, 20:42

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

Thanks so much, BC for the Brandt-Buys.   I like his music -pleasant and easy to listen to.  I hope others have more of his.

Jerry

X. Trapnel

BC--Thanks very much for these; I'd almost given up the idea that I'd ever hear more music by JBB

semloh

Some of the many 'unsung' Dutch composers have finally begun to be recognised outside Holland - Gilse, Dopper, Rontgen, Vermeulen, etc etc... all wonderful. Thank you for introducing me to yet another - a real delight.

X. Trapnel

Draeseke was Dutch? I had no idea. My favorite Dutch composer is Hendrik Andriessen whose magnificent music is unaccountably overshadowed by that of his rackety son Louis. Leon Orthel is another exceptionally fine composer. I suppose Chandos' Dutch music series is kaput. Nice while it lasted/

Mark Thomas

Draeseke was German, born in Coburg.

semloh

Whoops - yes, some double-Dutch on my part! Draeseke - a very German composer indeed.

Mark Thomas

I've added radio broadcasts of Brandt-Buys' Piano Concerto and his Suite: Poetische Promenade to the Downloads board.

Mark Thomas

Sicmu wrote:
QuoteDon't mistake it for Mahler's own first!
As you say...

eschiss1

Wait, why would I be confusing Pijper and Mahler again? Must be a pun I'm missing... I miss a lot of jokes. (Has Pijper ever been conducted by Noseda?)

Mark Thomas

Because it sounds very much like early Mahler, Eric. Actually, it's a very attractive and well put together work. I particularly like the way that Pjiper lulls the listener with all that bucolic, pastoral stuff and then subtly segues to a really impassioned passage almost without one noticing the transition, so you sit up and think "where did that come from?". Very good.

eschiss1

... I -really- have to listen to a piece again before making foolish comments; I must have been thinking about later Pijper (which is, - if I remember... - more spare - though I like both...) but again my comments are more informed when I listen :( apologies.  (Not that Mahler and spare- or "modern"- are contradictory, of course, considering Mahler 7 or 9 or 10, say - but those aren't early.)

jerfilm

I didn't take it as foolish at all, Eric.  There really are some Mahlerian-like (???) phrases in that symphony.  One of my first thoughts as I heard it the first time....

Jerry

Mark Thomas

Amphissa

I have added four new items to the Dutch Music folder. Two overtures by Johan Wagenaar, and two symphonies by Cornelis Dopper.

eschiss1

Re the Dopper, thanks for adding those two works (I especially enjoy the 7th and have different recordings of both of those.)