Dutch Music

Started by jerfilm, Tuesday 23 August 2011, 20:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

I realise that CPO is recording all the Badings symphonies, Eric, but goodness knows how long it will take them to issue the entire set but I have never been known for my patience ;D ;D

eschiss1

wasn't countering a "but" but rather an "and later". And fortunately cpo does eventually seem to hold fast to most of its projects, unlike some (not just one) smaller companies that I also esteem quite a whole lot for very many other reasons. Anyhow, all the more reason to want to hear their recordings too (but then even though my iPod hates me for it I tend to a the-more-the-merrier attitude both with good music and views/good, thoughtful performances of... )

shamokin88

The Henk Badings 4th Symphony is now complete. My guess is that when I copied a reel to a cassette I ran the former to the end but did not flip the reel over. Best from Shamokin88.

Dundonnell

Quote from: shamokin88 on Monday 05 December 2011, 02:48
The Henk Badings 4th Symphony is now complete. My guess is that when I copied a reel to a cassette I ran the former to the end but did not flip the reel over. Best from Shamokin88.

Fantastic news :)

Thank you so very much :) :)

JollyRoger

Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 03 December 2011, 17:31
Since Symphony No.9 for string orchestra is on a cd in a performance by the Orchestre d'Auvergne, if we can get No.4 sorted out somehow then we shall have the complete set of the Badings symphonies which would just be sensational :) :)

Sigh..every one except No 14...

Holger

Quote from: JollyRoger on Monday 05 December 2011, 09:45
Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 03 December 2011, 17:31
Since Symphony No.9 for string orchestra is on a cd in a performance by the Orchestre d'Auvergne, if we can get No.4 sorted out somehow then we shall have the complete set of the Badings symphonies which would just be sensational :) :)

Sigh..every one except No 14...

No. 14 is on a CPO disc together with Nos. 3&10. I have it – highly recommended!

eschiss1

Hrm. Odd though- Concertzender lists two recordings of Badings' cello concerto no.2 on two different dates during their series of 10 different Badings "concerts" (almost or entirely broadcasts of commercial recordings of Badings works in that series, though this is not always the case with Concertzender - e.g. note their series "Concertzender Live" in which they've broadcast a Röntgen quartettino)..., anyway, one Badings concerto from 1940 and one work from 1985. (A glance at the link provided earlier reveals "Celloconcert no. II : (1939) / Henk Badings; (instrumentatie 1954) [i.e. 1948]" so I wonder what sort of typo the 1985 is (cue Gary Larson cartoon if you know the one I mean and am misinterpreting.)
Eric

Peter1953

Eric, the Cello Concerto No. 2 in D major from 1939 (instrumentation 1954) is for cello and full orchestra, while the Cello Concerto No. 2 from 1985 is for cello and harmony orchestra.

Dundonnell

I appear to have a recording of Willem Pijper's Symphonic Drama "Halewijn"(1933) made by the Utrecht Symphony Orchestra/Felix de Nobel.

I am not an opera buff so have no idea whether this is rare, desirable, acceptable............ ??? ???

J.Z. Herrenberg

I would be interested. I remember once hearing it on Dutch radio in a programme about Pijper. Do you know if 'Heer Halewijn' is sung by Marco Bakker? It's all in Dutch of course. It's based on a famous medieval ballad about a Bluebeard-like character, seducing lovely maidens with his singing, who in the end has his head cut off by one of them...

Dundonnell

I have now uploaded Pijper's "Halewijn" and also Alexander Voormolen's Concerto for Two Pianos and String Orchestra(1950).

Both are from old LPs.

The lengthy introduction to "Halewijn" is almost inaudible(I must have been standing several miles away from my microphone ;D) but the music sound is much better :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks, Colin!  :)

Your introduction isn't hard to make out... Just for your information - the ij is pronounced as i. So Pijper sounds like Piper and in Halewijn the a is long as in father, the e is mute... http://www.dutchgrammar.com/en/?n=SpellingAndPronunciation.17

Dundonnell

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on Saturday 10 December 2011, 21:40
Thanks, Colin!  :)

Your introduction isn't hard to make out... Just for your information - the ij is pronounced as i. So Pijper sounds like Piper and in Halewijn the a is long as in father, the e is mute... http://www.dutchgrammar.com/en/?n=SpellingAndPronunciation.17

Thanks, Johan ;D      Mea Culpa ;D ;D

eschiss1

Hrm. I've heard those two Röntgen piano concertos (dedicated to Tovey) on Concertzender, I know there's been a commercial recording- ah. Not those performances though- Nauta/Hempel on Donemus. Thanks to Amphissa for uploading the de Groot, looking forward to hearing that when I get back from vacation :)

semloh

Goodness, what ravishing performances these are!

The pianist brings what seems to be a perfect touch to this music, and the Dutch Radio Phil. is spectacular, giving fine, precise perfomances, played with enthusiasm and obvious respect. It's all carefully balanced and controlled by Hickox - brilliant!

Thank you, Amphissa! :) :)