Chinese music

Started by semloh, Sunday 28 August 2011, 08:43

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Sicmu: Thank you for that symphony by Chen-Pei Xun - I have a pile of Hugo CDs but he's new to me, totally unexpected in style, and most engaging. I see some of his compositions featuring Chinese instruments and the HKPO are available on a Marco Polo CD. Definitely worth investigating.

Sicmu

You are welcome semloh, the Pui Fang Chan CD ( Chen Pei Xun) is nice : the first symphony is OK but I think the second one is even better.

http://www.malmusic.com/detail.asp?Product_id=HRP71082&txtParam=&txtCat=&prev=&lang=C

Sicmu

Does anyone knows about recordings of these works :

GUO Zu-Rong (1928-) Symphony No.1 (1956)

JIANG Wen-Ye (CHIANG Wen-Yeh/Bunya Koh) (1910-1983) Symphony No.3 (1957) Symphony No.4 (1962)

WANG Yun-Jie (1911-1996) Symphony No.1 'To Construct Motherland' (1956/1963)

LI Xu (1932-2007) Symphony No.1 'Heroic' (1958)

LUO Zhong-Rong (1924-) Symphony No.1 'Huan Xi Sha' (1959) Symphony No.2 'Living Forever in Burning Flames' (1964)

eschiss1

I have something else by Luo Zhong-Rong but not that. Sorry...

Sicmu

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 30 August 2011, 04:16
I have something else by Luo Zhong-Rong but not that. Sorry...

What is the "something else" if I may ask ?

eschiss1

Hrm- Lively Music, to Celebrate the Yuan Xiao Festival, I think the title is, or the Lantern Festival (rather a difference since I gather one is an emperor and... anyhow don't know, nor can I figure out just offhand when it was written or other details, nor remember who sent it to me- hrm. I think. Maybe. Thanks to, though.

semloh

Sicmu! The Ocean Symphony - a real charmer! Thank you.

semloh

Edward, thank you for the Sicong!  :)

Yet another entertaining symphony by a Chinese composer unknown in the West. Not a distinctive voice it seems, rather 'old hat', and perhaps not a great composer, but certainly competent and inventive. At times it sounds like John Williams, and although I know the programmatic style, or film music style, doesn't suit everyone, I have certainly enjoyed listening to it this evening - it's always fascinating to hear what a Chinese composer will do with a European idiom!  :)

eschiss1

Sicmu- belatedly, the Ocean Symphony was not only on LP, it was reissued on CD (see here) - same performers.

eschiss1

I need to check if it's been on CD, but I do have a concerto (not the Yellow River concerto) for violin in B, op.47b, by An-Lun Huang (a recording an appreciated acquaintance sent me awhile back.)  Nice piece (also, almost 40 minutes :) ).