Hyperion RPC no.55 - Widor

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 02 September 2011, 16:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...of course, if the Dutton CD turns out to garner better reviews, I may have to buy that too. Yes, the music's that good...

Alan Howe

The Fantaisie is a smashing piece too, with some passages of an almost Elgarian amplitude (it's from 1889). To my mind this is one of the best releases in the entire RPC series.

albion

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 31 October 2011, 22:22this is one of the best releases in the entire RPC series.

Thanks, Alan. This enthusiasm might just make me stray across the channel again! Pray, permit an impromptu rendition of

:'(

eschiss1

Is there a historical joke there or is that your name :) (I think me I should look up that title -before- asking th'question)
Eric Schissel

Ah.
(i) One
(ii) Possibly, of various, sundry and divers' Clive Palmers, This'n.
(iii) W/this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_String_Band_(album) squaring the ... I mean, closing the circle...

Mark Thomas

Well, I downloaded the Dutton recordings of the Widor PC compilation, pretty much because I felt like supporting the underdog.

As Alan has written about the Hyperion release, the music is an utter delight. The First Concerto breathes very much the same air as Saint-Saëns' five concertos - the same mixture of delicacy (there is a swooning slow movement), vigour (the first movement and most of the finale) and tongue in cheek (try the opening of the finale). The one movement Fantasie, at almost 23 minutes, is actually a more substantial piece than the Second Concerto and is another winning work even if, like the Second Concerto, it somehow lacks the last ounce of charm which the First has in abundance. That said, it's a rewarding work which never outstays its welcome. The Piano Concerto No.2 is another winner, although it is clearly an older man's composition, having been written 29 years after its predecessor. It has an altogether more autumnal character, the orchestration doesn't have quite the transparency of the Concerto No.1 and it's more tightly argued - you can hear Franck hovering in the background. There's plenty of passion in the opening movement and a reflective slow movement, all capped by a glittering finale.

Whilst I may at some stage get the Hyperion release as well, I must say that I'm very happy with Duttton's offering. The soloist, Martin Roscoe, does a fabulous job and Martin Yates' BBC Concert Orchestra for once don't seem under-powered, with full-blooded contributions in the tutti.

What it is to have a choice!

Alan Howe

Obviously I haven't had the time to compare performances, but a brief audition of the Dutton performance of PC1 certainly bears out my prediction with regard to orchestral sound: to my ears at least, there is less heft and cutting edge to the BBCCO's playing, whereas the BBCNOW (on Hyperion) sounds fuller and clearer. Looking at the two orchestra's websites tells us that the BBCCO is much lighter overall in the string department; I have wondered before about the wisdom of using them in late-Romantic music (and I know the arguments about authenticity, although there is no conscious attempt to be so here), and I believe this comparison shows the better judgment of Hyperion in using full-scale regional orchestras such as the BBCSSO and the BBCNOW in this repertoire.

Of course, I may be completely wrong and others' ears may hear things entirely differently...

Dundonnell

Oh good...some disagreement between Alan and Mark regarding the quality of the orchestral contribution to the Dutton version of the Widor ;D

It is-of course-a matter of subjective perspective, I know :)

I decided to wait until next month before ordering whichever version I finally go for(no..it won't be both ;D). In the meantime I have ordered the McEwen Viola Concerto, the Richard Wetz Christmas Oratorio, the Rontgen Piano Concertos Nos. 2 and 4 and the Gaubert Violin Concerto......to sustain my "romantic credentials" ;D ;D

Mark Thomas

No disagreement yet, Colin, as I haven't heard the Hyperion recording but I've now downloaded their recording of the First Piano Concerto and will give it a listen tomorrow. I certainly have no complaints about Dutton's orchestra but, if Alan is right and Hyperion's is even better, then I'll be even more pleased!

Alan Howe

Of course I'm right. Mark'll come round.... ;)

Peter1953

Today my copy of the Hyperion Vol 55 arrived and I've listened twice to the disc. Sorry to admit, but I need to listen to the Widor's a few more times before I might get a bit enthusiastic. Surely there are beautiful, almost fragile moments in both PC's and the Fantaisie, but there is also quite some chaos, at least to my ears.

Peter1953

My former post is definitely one of my most strange comments ever. Today I've listened to Widor again and I cannot believe what I've written a day before, it's beside the mark. I have to be very careful what I write after a first listen. It could also have something to do with my healthcare situation (I 'm undergoing a chemo therapy after a colon tumor has been removed).
Well, my opinion has changed completely after one day. Themes are delightful and memorable, especially in the lovely PC1 with its utterly delicate slow movement and the Fantaisie.

Mark Thomas

Oh don't worry, Peter. I did the same thing after listening to a CD of Röntgen Piano Concertos a few months ago and you could see jaws dropping across UC! I was welcomed back into the fold after I saw the light  ;)

I'm sure that we all wish you a speedy and successful recovery too  ;D

Alan Howe

Dear Peter,
May I second Mark's good wishes for a speedy and complete recovery?
Regards,
Alan

Peter1953

Thank you very much for your good wishes, Mark and Alan. The chemo therapy takes at least half a year, and during that period I will not be able to work as much as I used to do. On the other hand, the situation gives me the opportunity to listen more (and better!) to music.

Mark Thomas

It's interesting to read Robert Mathew-Walker's reveiw of the competing Dutton and Hyperion recordings in the latest IRR. Basically, after living with both recordings for several weeks he can't recommend one over the other and thinks both excellent.