Hyperion RPC no.55 - Widor

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 02 September 2011, 16:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Yes, Mark, I too read the review in IRR and decided, on the basis of the review, to go for the Dutton as the (slightly) cheaper option ;D

Revilod

I've managed to hear them both and reviewed them on Amazon.co.uk  If I had to choose I'd go for the Dutton because of Roscoe and Yates' slightly greater level of emotional commitment but there's very little to choose between them. My reviews are here. I'd be interested to hear your comments:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Charles-Marie-Widor-Concertos-Fantaisie-orchestre/dp/B005SD4TJM/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Widor-Romantic-Concerto-Hyperion-CDA67817/dp/B005OCESHU/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

Alan Howe

Interesting. I still have doubts about the BBCCO in this repertoire...

Dundonnell

Quote from: Revilod on Monday 05 December 2011, 10:02
I've managed to hear them both and reviewed them on Amazon.co.uk  If I had to choose I'd go for the Dutton because of Roscoe and Yates' slightly greater level of emotional commitment but there's very little to choose between them. My reviews are here. I'd be interested to hear your comments:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Charles-Marie-Widor-Concertos-Fantaisie-orchestre/dp/B005SD4TJM/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Widor-Romantic-Concerto-Hyperion-CDA67817/dp/B005OCESHU/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

Glad to hear that ;D That's the one I ordered ;D

Mark Thomas

The Gramophone review by Jeremy Nicholas also says that it's honours even between the two recordings.

eschiss1

Very belatedly re the Krogulski piano concerto, I don't think it was a commercial recording, I think it was probably a recording of a festival (August 29 2011, Festival Chopin and His Europe, or an earlier one- probably earlier, since the posts are from 2011?) in which Howard Shelley played the piano part - this performance was rebroadcast earlier this month (February 5) on Swedish Radio P2 Formiddag, identified as being from Polish Radio. (hrm... I should check to see if we still have it; I'll have to try to download it, and/or catch it before March 5th or so on Swedish P2... sounds like it might be good.)

JimL

Oh, yes the Krogulski was quite nice and very accomplished for a 15 year old.

FBerwald

Is the Widor Violin Concerto a passing mention with no manuscript, or does anyone know anything about the piece, I cant seem to find any info reg. this concerto. If it does exist it might be the only concerto left to record! :) 

eschiss1

Oh, I'm still holding out for Friedrich Gernsheim's 2 concertos, and some others too...

eschiss1

Widor wrote at least one violin/orchestra work (Romance in E minor, Op.46) - interestingly enough, the key of the "might-be" concerto of 1877, as mentioned in Bachmann's Encyclopedia, is also E minor, so hrm.

eschiss1

(hrm. actually, that's a violin/piano work whose orchestration is in manuscript at the BNF, and I don't know if that orchestration's certainly by Widor...)

(However, the violin concerto is here... and violin solo part here. & reduction!

chill319

QuoteOh good...some disagreement between Alan and Mark regarding the quality of the orchestral contribution to the Dutton version of the Widor
That is tongue-in-cheek, of course. Nevertheless, it's worth pointing out that Alan and Mark probably weren't listening to the music on the same stereo system and speakers/headphones. This can make a remarkable difference in how a performance sounds. Performances that have sounded to me underpowered and Milquetoast-ish (apologies for the Americanism) on headphones sometimes have taken on an entirely different and quite aggressive character on an SACD system. Contrariwise, balances that have sounded "reasonable" on headphones sometimes have come out poorly when heard through good speakers.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

QuoteThis can make a remarkable difference in how a performance sounds.
Indeed it can. That said, I do have both recordings and, whilst I entirely accept that the BBC Concert Orchestra has the smaller body of strings (and that can't be disguised), after repeated listenings to both I still marginally prefer the more visceral and immediate interpretations on Dutton. If I didn't have the Dutton, I'd be more than happy with the Hyperion, though. There's that little between them.

Alan Howe