Antoine Dewanger: another mystery

Started by adriano, Sunday 04 September 2011, 11:01

Previous topic - Next topic

adriano

I have some old recordings conducted by Antoine Dewanger (1905-1974), who seems to be an exciting, totally neglected composer. There is a rumour that he was a Collaborateur during the Nazi Régime.
He composed an impressive "Symphonie Dramatique" for orchestra with an extra group of 9 Saxophones, which I always wanted to record, but could not find any interest from producers/sponsors. Publishers, French, Duch and Belgian Composer's Copyright Offices have no information on Dewanger, what happened there?? His tone poem"Méphisto" and "Marche solennelle" are the works conducted by Dewanger which I have on 78s.
Greetings from Switzerland
Adriano
Conductor/Composer

eschiss1

some basic date and place of birth/death information is here...  born in Purkersdorf (bei Wien), died in Dusseldorf, also went by Anton (not surprisingly :) ).

Gareth Vaughan

The RAM has a score of his Humoresque for trombone & piano - that's all I can find in the UK, but he is listed among the Special Collections of the Österreichische Nationalbibliothek Musiksammlung.

adriano

Oh, thanks, so it looks he is coming from the Autro-German region and not from Belgium or Netherlands :-)
Greetings Adriano

eschiss1

yes- he was born near Vienna and died in Dusselsdorf, so that seems likely or at least possible.

eschiss1

United Music Publishers does have three works by him (Mephisto, the Symphonie Dramatique, and Epilogue joyeux) in their hire catalogue, I notice...

adriano

I have those scores, they are represented today by various French publishers. The tone pom "Mephisto" is available for rental from Gerard Billaudot, Paris