Swedish music

Started by cjvinthechair, Sunday 04 September 2011, 15:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

I've now uploaded Ludvig Norman's String Sextet - the many really knew how to write for chamber ensembles.

semloh

Gosh, this music by Norman just gets better and better!  ;D

How I have loved listening to the Piano Trio today - a real joy. This is my kind of music! Thank you, Mark.  :)

Mark Thomas

Thanks so much for the Ölander String Sextet BritishComposer - I really look forward to listening to it.

britishcomposer

You are welcome, Mark, but you have to thank Eric: he mentioned the piece recently and thereby remembered me that I actually had recorded the piece.
(Must confess that I haven't even listened to it myself yet...  :-[)

eschiss1

And I hadn't noticed you'd uploaded it. Thanks! :) :)

There's the manuscript of an Ölander sextet in A major (score and parts) scanned at IMSLP. The recorded work is identified as being in D major, so not the same I suppose... hrm. *compares a little of them...* Ah. It -ends- in a movement in D major. Still, by consensus sort of (there being so many of these annoying cases), key and mode are determined usually by the key and mode of the first theme of the first fast movement etc. ... (actually, I guess in this case that would be the second movement here, since the first movement is only an Andantino and perhaps somewhat introductory - the second movement is again in D major... ah, hoist by my own petard :) )

Erm, seems to be the same work. Ölander, string sextet in D major, 5 movements:

*Andantino in A -
*Allegro in D
*Scherzo in F# minor
*Intermezzo. Allegretto in B minor
*Finale. Allegro vivace in D

Mark Thomas

semloh

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Friday 15 June 2012, 13:09
Thanks so much for the Ölander String Sextet BritishComposer.....

Hear, hear! Yet another fine work by a 'new' composer.  :)

JimL

Quote from: eschiss1 on Friday 15 June 2012, 20:26
And I hadn't noticed you'd uploaded it. Thanks! :) :)

There's the manuscript of an Ölander sextet in A major (score and parts) scanned at IMSLP. The recorded work is identified as being in D major, so not the same I suppose... hrm. *compares a little of them...* Ah. It -ends- in a movement in D major. Still, by consensus sort of (there being so many of these annoying cases), key and mode are determined usually by the key and mode of the first theme of the first fast movement etc. ... (actually, I guess in this case that would be the second movement here, since the first movement is only an Andantino and perhaps somewhat introductory - the second movement is again in D major... ah, hoist by my own petard :) )

Erm, seems to be the same work. Ölander, string sextet in D major, 5 movements:

*Andantino in A -
*Allegro in D
*Scherzo in F# minor
*Intermezzo. Allegretto in B minor
*Finale. Allegro vivace in D
Just from the looks of things here, I would venture a guess that what you call the first movement is basically a slow introduction to the first movement, and serves as a dominant preparation for the movement proper.  I'd have to give it a listen to confirm.

eschiss1

JimL- re Ölander- right, my (revised) thoughts exact... Haven't finished listening to it yet (got distracted again as keeps happening) but sounds good so far!

Mark Thomas

Thanks very much for Tor Aulin's Mäster Olof Suite, Atsushi.

Hofrat

Quote from: JimL on Saturday 21 January 2012, 21:12
Come to think of it we haven't heard from good ol' Hofrat in a while.  Think I might email him.

I am so very sorry to inform you that my father "Hofrat" has passed away, on the 26th of April.
My dad suffered from Cancer in the past 3 years.
He left a son, and a grad-dauther that will hopefully be born late Aogust. He will never see her.
May he rest in peace.

Ethan.
cliftzer@gmail.com

JimL

My condolences to you and the rest of his family.  He will be missed here, too.  :'(

eschiss1

Agreed. Very sorry to hear!!

Mark Thomas

I'm once again in your debt British Composer for Elfrida Andrée's Concert Overture - it's a very attractive piece in which one can maybe trace the influence of Ludvig Norman here and there. A real find.

EdwardHan

Is the Norman piece just be uploaded, String Quartet No. 6 in A minor (1885), his Op. 65?