Swedish music

Started by cjvinthechair, Sunday 04 September 2011, 15:43

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I'm guessing so, Op.65... There's a CD with one movement arranged, I think, for string orchestra that so identifies it (coupled with the 2nd symphony and the concert overture. And when the score was republished in 1984 by Gerhman it had Op.65, also; likewise the original printing by Bagge in 1887.) (The whole thing has been recorded, on LP, by the Saulesco Quartet.)

EdwardHan

Hm, I think I have seen the CD you mentioned on Naxos Library, I'll check soon.

Balapoel

Quote from: EdwardHan on Friday 06 July 2012, 01:51
Is the Norman piece just be uploaded, String Quartet No. 6 in A minor (1885), his Op. 65?

I think it probably is. I don't know of a sixth quartet, just Eb (1848), E (op 20), d minor (op 24), C (op 42), and a minor (op 65).

Also, I'm getting an error when trying to expand the zip file - is anyone else getting an error?

EdwardHan

New Grove says Norman had written six quartets, but I know only five according to other resources.

The zip file is fine, no error appeared on my computer.

Lionel Harrsion

Thanks so much, britishcomposer, for the latest Norman Quartet -- another winner. :)   I keep waiting to hear a 'duff' piece of music by Norman but I'm coming to the conclusion that he was incapable of writing anything that wasn't of a very high standard.  The man was obviously inspired and equipped with impeccable technique.

eschiss1

EdwardHan - well, no.5 was I think published as quartet no.6 (edit: no it wasn't apparently.), and as someone who helped compile the list in the English language Wikipedia- I don't know if that's among the other resources you mention - I don't doubt we might have missed one. Let me see soon what I anyway can find out...

(Actually, the manuscript of the D minor quartet "no.3" describes it as quartet 4...)

JimL

There must be an early one, perhaps unpublished.

eschiss1

Actually, not many of the quartets were published during the composer's lifetime. The first one listed by Wikipedia of 5 listed was not, I think, published (there may, as you say, be one even earlier than that.)
Then there's the E major opus 20 (published in 1882). I uploaded an offradio recording of this (I don't know the movement indications and have not seen the score. Like another E major quartet I rate, Robert Fuchs' 1st, it ends irately.)
Then there's the D minor (which may be no.3 or no.4.) Manuscript in library, haven't seen a published score but I may not have looked hard enough.
Then there's the op.42 (op.41?) in C major. Then there's the A minor op.65. The A minor was published, not positive if the C major was published until the 1980s or so though.
HMB annoys here by printing his surname as "Normann" for some works (and apparently that is not how it appeared on the front page of those works... at least, not with the string quintet, which has "Ludvig Norman" as usual unless Merton's reprint took some photoshopping liberties.)

jimmosk

Quote from: Balapoel on Friday 06 July 2012, 02:34Also, I'm getting an error when trying to expand the zip file - is anyone else getting an error?

Yes, I've been unable to expand it using any of several programs on my Mac. Could someone who successfully opened it please try reuploading it with a different compression?

eschiss1

having the same problem with quartet 6 also. I guess it was an expansive work and just didn't want to be pushed in...

britishcomposer

I am currently uploading Norman's A minor Quartet again. Perhaps it has something to do with the number of characters or the tagging...
I have re-tagged it. Sorry again.

JimL

For anybody who has downloaded the Aulin VC 2 but doesn't have the movements or timings, they are:

1. Moderato 9:00
2. Andante sostenuto 5:01
3. Allegro vivace 6:19

There's about 10 seconds of applause after that on the DL.

mjkFendrich

@Latvian & @britishcomposer

many thanks for posting Eliasson's 3rd and 4th symphonies!!

(btw: does perphaps any one have a recording of his recent Violin Concerto "Einsame Fahrt"?)

eschiss1

Ok, the Norman quartet zip opened- will see if I can play it now. Thanks!
Surprised at the date 1891 attaching to the Ingeborg Bronsart work. Fairly sure it was not published (1884) before it was composed. Known revision?

britishcomposer

Sorry, Eric, I took it directly from the Swedish wikipedia entry. I will amend my post.
BTW, could you open the newly uploaded Mielck quartet?