Swedish music

Started by cjvinthechair, Sunday 04 September 2011, 15:43

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

it may be being considered- but consider also that the performance you posted (depends on which it is of course) may have been too recently on CD, as I think mentioned here, for it to be approved?. I don't know...

Mark Thomas

If it wasn't approved, you'd have had an email from either Alan or I, so I guess that for some reason it just failed to post.  Try again (but remember to give the source of the recording).

Sicmu

So I posted it again and it wasn't approved because I didn't provide infos regarding the date the CD was discontinued.

As I don't want' to spend more time on this matter, I leave this task to somebody else ( if at least someone is interested in Rosenberg's second Symphony of course).

Mark Thomas

If anybody can do this then I can at least consider it, although as a general rule recordings which have been available on CD are not approved, even if they have been discontinued.

violinconcerto

Hello fellow members,

I am again updating my website with some additional information. I started - for no special reason - with all works by Swedish composers. So if you like, please check for a few Swedish violin works to see if that is useful and tell me about it, if you like. I added publisher, orchestration, world premiere and movement titles (as well as further comments, if there are any: prices, missing recordings, arrangements, whatever is of interest).

To give a starting point, here the link to the entry of the first violin concerto by Hilding Rosenberg:
Rosenberg: Violin concerto No.1

Of course if you have information about missing data, please let me know!

Best,
Tobias

violinconcerto

Hello!

I am looking for some help or further information on my way to find the folowing recording:

Björn Hallman: Concerto for 2 violins and string orchestra.
I found the information that the work was commercially (?) releases by the Ottogram record label in 1991. I don't know if it was released on CD or cassette, but its called "Orchestraland" and the performers are Christer Thorvaldsson, Per Enoksson and Opalkvartetten.
I found an address and phone number for Ottogram and gave them a call, just to find out that the number is not working. It looks like the label isn't into business anymore. Of course I checked the normal sources for old recordings, but did not find an entry.
Any hints how to proceed?

Best,
Tobias

eschiss1

About Rosenberg 8 - there is a recording of this from the November 3 1981 premiere (as opposed to the LP) that was broadcast November 22 1981 on P2 (Malmo Symphony/Westerberg).
Re Hallman: from http://smdb.kb.se/catalog/search?q=hallman+bj%C3%B6rn&x=24&y=18 the Orchestraland release is described as a compact cassette (which doesn't bear on whether or not it's still available though . This does give a list of the performers and producers though... and also by searching for Hallman you can see if there are other recordings of the work made for P2.)
Eric

semloh

A.S. - sincere thanks for the HÅKANSON - Variatoner over Lomjansguten - a fine piece of music, by a composer totally new to me. :) :)

semloh

Quote from: violinconcerto on Tuesday 18 October 2011, 08:51
Hello!

I am looking for some help or further information on my way to find the folowing recording:

Björn Hallman: Concerto for 2 violins and string orchestra.
"
I wonder if anyone can tell me if this would be the same Hallman who composed "Snowhite",  which I have on r2r tape, broadcast on BBC Radio 3 in the 80s, performed by "Marquis/BBC ScottishSO/Handford". I've tried in vain to identify it further! :-[

eschiss1

A Google/Worldcat search reveals "Sagan om Snövit = Snow-White : for narrator and orchestra, 1981" by Hallman, who is a composer of film and concert music- approx.30 minutes, translated by Alan Blair, held at the National Library of Sweden.

britishcomposer

Thanks from me for the Håkanson Variations, too!  :D

Must have missed this. I've been interested in Håkanson for a while. SR2 has broadcast a Piano Sonata, String Quartet and some small stuff. His choral works are still sung and quite popular but his instrumental music has fallen into neglect. Of course, he was extremely conventional but his music is sincere and fresh. Moreover, his craftsmanship is unquestioned.
He and Rangström were good friends until Rangström decided that he couldn't live without Håkanson's wife...

britishcomposer

Eric, the 1988 Segerstam performance of Pettersson 4 has been rebroadcast by SR2 Thursday 20 October. It is still online:
http://sverigesradio.se/sida/gruppsida.aspx?programid=4112&grupp=15996

semloh

Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 02 November 2011, 13:27
A Google/Worldcat search reveals "Sagan om Snövit = Snow-White : for narrator and orchestra, 1981" by Hallman, who is a composer of film and concert music- approx.30 minutes, translated by Alan Blair, held at the National Library of Sweden.

Thank you, Eric!  ;) ;)   I will upload it as soon as I can get to digitize it!

Yes. the same Hallman. Why on earth didn't I search for "Snövit"? ::)

eschiss1

semloh- happy I could help, yes!
BC - I missed that entirely. Thank you. Unfortunately unless I figure out how to record that by November 18 (Nov.20 falls on a Sunday so needs to be caught by the Friday before I think...) - well, will try and see if I can using what I have and can acquire (but if someone else does, please upload - will delete my post as irrelevant in that case.  Will also of course happily listen to it in the meantime as I don't think I nec. have my own tape copy here from which the incomplete digital copy, which needed at the time to fit on a CD with the digital copy of a tape I had of Provotarov's Golubev 7, - etc. ... )
Eric

britishcomposer

Eric, I am just uploading AP 4! :)