Swedish music

Started by cjvinthechair, Sunday 04 September 2011, 15:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Quote from: patmos.beje on Friday 09 December 2011, 23:09

Does anyone have Gosta Nystroem's Violin Concerto to upload?

The Gosta Nystroem Violin Concerto in the premiere performance in 1957 by Tibor Varga with the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra under Sixten Eckerberg can be downloaded from a number of sites on the net.

I have a copy but I am dubious about uploading it on this site because it appeared on a Philharmonia cd (No.23 in the Tibor Varga Collection) which may or may not still be available.

If I was to be given the go ahead I could certainly rip a a copy and upload it but that will depend on Administrator permission.

eschiss1

Last I saw a post from Mark on this subject availability wasn't the issue, the existence at some point of a commercial CD (not library- or privately-ripped) was. But I'm not an admin...

BFerrell

Shamokin88, I'm starting to love you.  :P

Mark Thomas

Sorry Colin, as Eric says, if a recording has been available on CD then it can't be posted here.

britishcomposer

Quote from: Tapiola on Friday 09 December 2011, 23:11
and Nystroem's Concerto Ricercante for Piano & Orchestra?

A recording of the world premiere performance will be broadacst today by Swedish Radio:

LÖRDAG 10 DECEMBER
18:04: Gösta Nystroem
Concerto ricercante (1959). Radioorkestern. Dirigent: Sten Frykberg. Uruppförandet, 1960, Musikaliska akademins stora sal, Stockholm. 
http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=2482&artikel=4825994

shamokin88

About the Nystroem Violin Concerto: I have a copy that I could upload but I am hesitant because I have no idea who the performers are. It could be the Tibor Varga premiere that ended up on CD. In any event I obtained it during the spring of 1975 from the composer's daughter. Has anyone guidance to offer? 

Dundonnell

Thanks to Holger for two more symphonies by Erland von Koch :)

eschiss1

Thanks also to Holger. According to SMDB, Lapponica was recorded by Westerberg (same recording?) in 1977 (and broadcast in 1981 and other times.) Symphony 4 Seria has received at least 2 broadcast recordings- one conducted by Westerberg, one by Goran Nilson; the Westerberg was conducted by 1982.)

The movements of symphony 3 op.38 are 1.Allegro moderato -- 2. Adagio espressivo -- 3. Allegro agitato. Those of symphony 4 op51 are 1. Andante -- 2. Allegretto -- 3. Allegro moderato.

Dundonnell

You don't know the name of the pianist in the Nystroem Concerto Ricercante do you, Atsushi?

britishcomposer

Quote from: Dundonnell on Tuesday 13 December 2011, 14:01
You don't know the name of the pianist in the Nystroem Concerto Ricercante do you, Atsushi?

It's the Estonian pianist Käbi Laretei (b. 1922)

BFerrell

I have the old Philips LP and the orchestra on that is the Stockholm Philharmonic.  On the Violin Concerto I found this....Tibor Varga Collection - No. 23, Nielsen & Nyström (1993) - UNRELEASED. Does that mean it can be downloaded?

Greg K

Quote from: Tapiola on Tuesday 13 December 2011, 18:41
I have the old Philips LP and the orchestra on that is the Stockholm Philharmonic.  On the Violin Concerto I found this....Tibor Varga Collection - No. 23, Nielsen & Nyström (1993) - UNRELEASED. Does that mean it can be downloaded?

I own the original CD ("Tibor Varga Collection - No.23") - purchased from JPC probably 15 years ago.  It's been commercially released. 

Dundonnell

Quote from: britishcomposer on Tuesday 13 December 2011, 17:54

Thanks for that info' :)

lechner1110

Quote from: britishcomposer on Tuesday 13 December 2011, 17:54

Thanks britishcomposer  :)

JollyRoger

I am so grateful to have heard the 4 symphonies of Erland Von Koch posted here. This composer was unknown to me and these symphonies have greatly endeared me to his wonderful music.  The 3rd symphony had strong echoes of Hindemith, did this composer have an association with him? Needless to say, I would greatly appreciate hearing much more of Koch's orchestral music.