News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Weinberg Quartets

Started by eschiss1, Monday 05 September 2011, 05:32

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

the latest volume in cpo's series of Weinberg quartets is forthcoming with the only available recordings of quartets 1 and 10 and the world premiere recording of quartet 3- see MDT. (Their claim of world premiere recordings of 1 and 10 makes me feel a bit odd since I was sure I had recordings of 1 and 10- 1, 10 and 17, Göteborg Quartet, Olympia, 1997. Still , no.1 on that CD was a revised version, and this might be the original here. But no.10 (a weird, obsessive piece in A minor which does show some Shostakovich influence- not everything by Weinberg does...- and which I well remember borrowing in score before the CD was announced, whose first movement anyway is obstinate and depressing... and the finale-section not less so...) - hrm. Well, good to have a new recording of it, anycase; and the Danel-Quartet, which has played, I'm told, all 17 quartets in concerts in Manchester and probably elsewhere, and some of whose Weinberg recordings I've heard (over Concertzender e.g.), is a great group to have do it.)