American Music

Started by Amphissa, Monday 05 September 2011, 22:49

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

Gosh, I kinda like his 3rd Piano Concerto.   But then I've always liked movie scores, too......

Jerry

kolaboy

I've never heard any of McKuen's symphonic works, thanks :)

Dundonnell

Yes, it is pretty dreadful ;D  There is a sort of waltz 11 minutes in which would make Johann Strauss turn in his grave with disgust. After that the symphony just gets worse....indeed, SO BAAD that I can take no more :o :o :o :o

Still....I always think that it is a tribute to the ongoing stature of 'classical music' that so many 'popular' artists feel that they must eventually turn to composing something 'serious' :)

Holger

Thanks, shamokin88, for your Peter Mennin uploads. As for the Flute Concertino, the Orchestra must be the "New York Chamber Symphony of the 92nd Street Y", that's not only what your annotations indicate but I also found out Thomas Nyfenger was principal flutist in just this orchestra, so as he is the soloist in your recording it's pretty clear it must be just this orchestra. (Compare http://www.nytimes.com/1990/06/20/obituaries/thomas-nyfenger-a-principal-flutist-and-a-teacher-53.html)

semloh

McKuen - Ah yes, April 1st - that explains it!  ;D ;D

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 02 April 2012, 01:33
Still....I always think that it is a tribute to the ongoing stature of 'classical music' that so many 'popular' artists feel that they must eventually turn to composing something 'serious' :)

Not about American music but in response....   Jon Lord (ex- Deep Purple) is clearly a gifted musician and composer; Robert Godfrey (from The Enid) has a talent for luscious harmonies and sweeping romantic melodies, although perhaps not played to the taste of most on this forum; and, Tony Banks (ex-Genesis) has had a very promising start with his (to my mind) quite lovely work Seven: A Suite for Orchestra released by Naxos in 2004. According to Wiki, his second classical CD was due for release last week, and I will be seeking it out!  :)

Dundonnell

Could I respectfully point out that the Elegy in Memory of Franklin D. Roosevelt composed by Bernard Rogers and uploaded by Amphissa in December is a short work for orchestra alone rather than for soloists, chorus and orchestra.

Amphissa

Quote from: Dundonnell on Thursday 05 April 2012, 01:05
Could I respectfully point out that the Elegy in Memory of Franklin D. Roosevelt composed by Bernard Rogers and uploaded by Amphissa in December is a short work for orchestra alone rather than for soloists, chorus and orchestra.

Well, they obviously played it wrong!   ;D

I'll see what I can do to correct the note.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Amphissa on Sunday 08 April 2012, 00:29
Quote from: Dundonnell on Thursday 05 April 2012, 01:05

Well, they obviously played it wrong!   ;D

I'll see what I can do to correct the note.

;D

Amphissa

Ah, I see what happened. This piece was part of a concert that included Beethoven's 9th. I just copy/pasted the performers for the entire concert. Sloppiness on my part. Thanks for catching my error. (I seem to make a lot of them.)

Dundonnell

No problem :)   I did wonder where the soloists and chorus had disappeared to when I finally got round to listening to the download ;D

Dundonnell

Many thanks to shamokin for more American uploads, and, particularly, for the Siegmeister and Harris which plug more gaps in the available repertoire :)

Latvian

QuoteMany thanks to shamokin for more American uploads, and, particularly, for the Siegmeister and Harris which plug more gaps in the available repertoire

Thanks from me as well! Anytime you feel like regaling us with more of these morsels, I'll be delighted!

eschiss1

Strang? Could Gerald Strang have been related to Samuel T. Strang (1855 or 1856-1921)? ... sorry, just curious! (viz. IMSLP (also German Wikipedia)

suffolkcoastal

Thanks from me for the Harris, even though I have many rare off-air Harris works I didn't have this one!

If anyone is interested I have the following Harris rarities that haven't been uploaded as yet:

Concerto for Clarinet, Piano & String Quartet
String Quartet No 1
Piano Trio
Farewell to Pioneers
Railroad Man's Ballad
Piano Concerto No 1 'Jamboree'
Free Fantasy: Rock of Ages
String Quintet
Ode to Truth
Melody for Orchestra
Radio Piece
Piano Concerto No 2
Ad Majorem Gloriam... for Band
Symphonic Epigram
Ode to Consonance
Canticle to the Sun

plus alternate off-air versions of
Give Me the Splendid Silent Sun (Warfield)
Chorale for Strings (Ormandy)
Symphony No 5 (Kubelik)
Symphony No 9 (Ormandy and Kubelik)
Symphony No 11 (Harris)

I can add these to my list if anyone is interested. I'm currently looking at a cassette to mp3 converter so hopefully will be able to start uploading in a few weeks.

Among the works of Harris I'm most interested in hearing are: A Song of Occupations, Horn of Plenty (I have a score but have never heard the work), Cello Sonata (original as opposed to the shortened later Duo version), Cumberland Concerto for Orchestra, Elegy & Paen for Viola & Orchestra.

Latvian

QuoteIf anyone is interested I have the following Harris rarities that haven't been uploaded as yet:

Yes, please! I vote for the following:

Farewell to Pioneers
Railroad Man's Ballad
Piano Concerto No 1 'Jamboree'
Free Fantasy: Rock of Ages
Ode to Truth
Melody for Orchestra
Radio Piece
Piano Concerto No 2
Ad Majorem Gloriam... for Band
Symphonic Epigram
Canticle to the Sun

plus alternate off-air versions of
Give Me the Splendid Silent Sun (Warfield)
Chorale for Strings (Ormandy)
Symphony No 9 (Ormandy and Kubelik)

If the Kubelik performance of Symphony No. 5 is with the Chicago SO, that may not be uploadable as it was issued by the CSO on CD about 15 years ago. I look forward to anything else on the list, though! Sorry, I don't have any of the works you're looking for, though.