American Music

Started by Amphissa, Monday 05 September 2011, 22:49

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Thanks to minacciosa for the opportunity to listen to music by HK HADLEY - most enjoyable. Othello is a little gem.  :)

The Wikipedia article on Hadley is very comprehensive, by the way, with a list of works and recordings - I was surprised to see it includes five operas and five symphonies!

Dundonnell

Quote from: semloh on Saturday 21 April 2012, 01:21
Thanks to minacciosa for the opportunity to listen to music by HK HADLEY - most enjoyable. Othello is a little gem.  :)

The Wikipedia article on Hadley is very comprehensive, by the way, with a list of works and recordings - I was surprised to see it includes five operas and five symphonies!

Ok, ok........the Wikipedia article is good but if you want a fuller catalogue of the orchestral and choral compositions why not try mine ??? ??? :( ;D ;D

minacciosa

Yes, there's plenty missing from the wiki article. For the truly interested, there is a great dissertation on Hadley by John Clair Canfield.

shamokin88

Re Wallingford Riegger Symphony #4.

I will do this again but I am completely baffled. I have it into two parts - it was spread over both sides of the LP from which it came. A few hours ago I listened to the CD that I made of it. Both parts are the two parts of the Riegger symphony, which I have listened to, off and on, since I bought the U of Illinois boxed set some 55 years ago. No announcements of any sort.

Further to complicate things I do not even have the Günther Raphael piece in my collection - though perhaps this is an easy way to obtain it!

So I will tend to this tomorrow - I have more Riegger to upload.

Could this have been some sort of Media Fire hiccup?

Best to all.

PS. I just downloaded what was the Riegger when I put it up. Sure enough, it is Raphael now. What a clever trick. Ah, well, I suppose I must be part of a transitional generation: I can use my kitchen appliances but can't make them stop flashing twelve.

semloh

Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 21 April 2012, 02:36

Ok, ok........the Wikipedia article is good but if you want a fuller catalogue of the orchestral and choral compositions why not try mine ??? ??? :( ;D ;D

Ah, well I didn't check to see whether you had done one!  ;D

Lionel Harrsion

Hear hear!

minacciosa

Quote from: Lionel Harrsion on Saturday 21 April 2012, 15:05

Hear hear!
Othello is dedicated to Stokowski, and it was performed often.

shamokin88

Riegger: Symphony #4

I have replaced the rogue Raphael that for unknown reasons ended up as part one. Part one is now
Riegger as of about half-past seven east coast US time.

Best to all.

suffolkcoastal

Quote from: Dundonnell on Tuesday 17 April 2012, 15:18
Any additions of music not otherwise commercially available by composers of the generations from 1893(Bernard Rogers) to 1918(George Rochberg), particularly composers like Piston, Hanson, Harris. Creston, Schuman and Diamond, would be welcomed with open arms/ears by me ;D ;D

We are still not clear whether or not Naxos has decided to abort its projected Alsop set of the Harris symphonies. This was promised but I understand that someone who had contacted the company was told that they had changed their collective minds. While I was very disappointed to hear this I do have to say that the Alsop performances released struck me as under-powered and under-motivated to a surprising and alarming extent :(

Naxos have become thoroughly frustrating, often starting projects which they half-heartedly give up. At the same tie issuing works by some American composers that in some cases should probably never have been heard let alone recorded. Perhaps I should contact them and push myself forward more. Alsop's performance of the 3rd was very poor though it was complete, unlike most versions. With the 4th I noticed that a couple of errors I corrected in the hire score were included, not sure thought if it was me or another person who'd found the same errors. The 5th was much better, again played complete for the 1st time, one or two small errors and a glaring one at the end. The 6th wasn't bad but the Albany recording was much better.
Perhaps my knowledge and enthusiasm for composers such as Harris and Piston could be put to use so that Naxos can produce more worthwhile and valuable recordings of American music, at least  hopefully some of the errors will be ironed out.

minacciosa

Quote from: suffolkcoastal on Sunday 22 April 2012, 21:38
Quote from: Dundonnell on Tuesday 17 April 2012, 15:18
Any additions of music not otherwise commercially available by composers of the generations from 1893(Bernard Rogers) to 1918(George Rochberg), particularly composers like Piston, Hanson, Harris. Creston, Schuman and Diamond, would be welcomed with open arms/ears by me ;D ;D

We are still not clear whether or not Naxos has decided to abort its projected Alsop set of the Harris symphonies. This was promised but I understand that someone who had contacted the company was told that they had changed their collective minds. While I was very disappointed to hear this I do have to say that the Alsop performances released struck me as under-powered and under-motivated to a surprising and alarming extent :(

Naxos have become thoroughly frustrating, often starting projects which they half-heartedly give up. At the same tie issuing works by some American composers that in some cases should probably never have been heard let alone recorded. Perhaps I should contact them and push myself forward more. Alsop's performance of the 3rd was very poor though it was complete, unlike most versions. With the 4th I noticed that a couple of errors I corrected in the hire score were included, not sure thought if it was me or another person who'd found the same errors. The 5th was much better, again played complete for the 1st time, one or two small errors and a glaring one at the end. The 6th wasn't bad but the Albany recording was much better.
Perhaps my knowledge and enthusiasm for composers such as Harris and Piston could be put to use so that Naxos can produce more worthwhile and valuable recordings of American music, at least  hopefully some of the errors will be ironed out.
Naxos is now primarily concerned with having the artist or performing organization pay for the recording; they want to be handed a finished master, whereupon they will take on the admittedly expensive job of duplication, artwork, publicity and distribution. They don't pay for anything anymore. Sometimes they will contribute a small amount towards recording, but that is now the exception. It's great to have their distribution network, but be prepared to come with your project fully funded.

suffolkcoastal

This is probably why some recent Naxos issues have included music of highly dubious quality to say the least.  I think I'm a bout ready to give up on Naxos and pray Albany get round to recording more rare Harris, Piston, Diamond etc. I would willingly give my services for nothing to help.

minacciosa

Quote from: suffolkcoastal on Sunday 22 April 2012, 23:02
This is probably why some recent Naxos issues have included music of highly dubious quality to say the least.  I think I'm a bout ready to give up on Naxos and pray Albany get round to recording more rare Harris, Piston, Diamond etc. I would willingly give my services for nothing to help.
Naxos American Classics have completely lost direction.

Dundonnell

I entirely agree about Naxos American Classics but the same thing seems to be happening to Albany :( I used to rush to their website every month in the hope and expectation that there would be some new releases of real interest but now their catalogue has been taken over by not so much 'unsung' composers but completely unknown composers. I have nothing against the music of these composers being given some exposure but not in preference to the fine people we have been talking about in this thread.

fr8nks

Thanks, Colin, for the list of American works. :)

Dundonnell

Quote from: fr8nks on Monday 23 April 2012, 15:33
Thanks, Colin, for the list of American works. :)

Pleasure :)

Hopefully it should make it easier for members to avoid posting items which are already on the site.