American Music

Started by Amphissa, Monday 05 September 2011, 22:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Ser Amantio di Nicolao

Quote from: gabriel on Friday 18 May 2012, 21:59
Reiger: Your uploads of old Louisville LPs are wonderful. Thanks!!

Indeed, I have to second/third/fourth this.  I have been drooling over the Louisville catalogue for years with scant hope of hearing most of the stuff listed therein.  Guess it's true what they say about good things coming to those who wait.  :D

eschiss1

Worldcat tells me that Boosey & Hawkes released a CD with Benjamin Lees' orchestral works, including the concerto for orchestra, in 2004 (I wonder if that's right and not a misfiling under CD of something else-- will check.. does Boosey & Hawkes even do CDs? I know Schott does, on their Wergo label, but... ) Never mind, and no wonder all those works fit on one CD (either it was an mp3 CD or...) - it's a sampler, according to Benjaminlees.com (though even as a sampler, it might be the only CD representation of the concerto for orchestra.. hrm... just as a Teldec CD has one -movement- of a performance of a string quartet by Weinberg I'd otherwise upload as I have a copy of the LP :))

reiger

Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 19 May 2012, 00:31

Most of the music you have uploaded is indeed well worth having in my opinion. I do say "most" because I am afraid that the Claude Baker piece lies just beyond my own particular 'comfort zone' ;D  However the Giannini Divertimento and the Sowerby piece were extremely welcome. Most of all, I was delighted to make the acquaintance of the Robert Bernat Passacaglia-a work I had not heard for decades :)

If you have the Louisville LP collection I wonder if amongst those works is the Benjamin Lees Concerto for Orchestra ???  If so..........please :)

Nice to see Louisville getting the love! ;)  Frankly The Glass Bead Game is a bit out of my realm too, but I figured I'd put it up for the more avant garde in the group. 8) 

And yes, I've got the Lees' Concerto for Orchestra - I haven't converted that LP to digital yet, but I'll try to get that up shortly.

reiger

Quote from: Ser Amantio di Nicolao on Saturday 19 May 2012, 02:27
Quote from: gabriel on Friday 18 May 2012, 21:59
Reiger: Your uploads of old Louisville LPs are wonderful. Thanks!!

Indeed, I have to second/third/fourth this.  I have been drooling over the Louisville catalogue for years with scant hope of hearing most of the stuff listed therein.  Guess it's true what they say about good things coming to those who wait.  :D

Thank you sir! Anything in particular you're looking for? I take requests now! 8)

eschiss1

Well, there are several works by Quincy Porter (1897-1966), whose music I like very much, that were recorded in the series that never made CD in any form (or those performances didn't, anyway), I believe - let me see if I can't be more specific. Hrm. Checked but even the 2nd symphony is out (available as a download at itunes.apple.com with some works by Floyd). Will keep looking (and makes me think that very little is going to turn up- not that that's all and entirely bad, as it means someone's keeping the stuff available in -some- way anyway, pardon horrible grammar and word choice...)

Dundonnell

Quote from: reiger on Saturday 19 May 2012, 04:40
Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 19 May 2012, 00:31

Most of the music you have uploaded is indeed well worth having in my opinion. I do say "most" because I am afraid that the Claude Baker piece lies just beyond my own particular 'comfort zone' ;D  However the Giannini Divertimento and the Sowerby piece were extremely welcome. Most of all, I was delighted to make the acquaintance of the Robert Bernat Passacaglia-a work I had not heard for decades :)

If you have the Louisville LP collection I wonder if amongst those works is the Benjamin Lees Concerto for Orchestra ???  If so..........please :)

Nice to see Louisville getting the love! ;)  Frankly The Glass Bead Game is a bit out of my realm too, but I figured I'd put it up for the more avant garde in the group. 8) 

And yes, I've got the Lees' Concerto for Orchestra - I haven't converted that LP to digital yet, but I'll try to get that up shortly.

"...the more avant garde in the group" ??? ???  Do we have any of those on here ???  Surely not ;D

The Lees would be splendid :)

eschiss1

Hrm. Careful of uploading the following, since they're available for not-free download at itunes.apple.com (do a search) in the same performances from Louisville as conducted by Robert Whitney-
the LP of Fine, Berger and Shapero's music (Diversions, Serious Song, Polyphony, etc.)
Quincy Porter's symphony no.2, Carlisle Floyd's In Celebration or The Mystery;
Leon Kirchner's Toccata for strings, Hall Overton's symphony no.2, Ben Weber's Prelude and Passacaglia, and Dolmen - An Elegy
etc. ("Googled" whitney louisville site:itunes.apple.com )

reiger

Quote from: eschiss1 on Saturday 19 May 2012, 14:17
Hrm. Careful of uploading the following, since they're available for not-free download at itunes.apple.com (do a search) in the same performances from Louisville as conducted by Robert Whitney-
the LP of Fine, Berger and Shapero's music (Diversions, Serious Song, Polyphony, etc.)
Quincy Porter's symphony no.2, Carlisle Floyd's In Celebration or The Mystery;
Leon Kirchner's Toccata for strings, Hall Overton's symphony no.2, Ben Weber's Prelude and Passacaglia, and Dolmen - An Elegy
etc. ("Googled" whitney louisville site:itunes.apple.com )

OK. Thanks for the Google tip... I'll be sure to check before uploading.

shamokin88

If I may join in the Louisville sweepstakes there are two pieces for which I am looking: the first Little Symphony by Robert Sanders [635] and the Divertimento by Alexei Haieff [611].

I think we have many reasons to be grateful to Robert Whitney, and not only for his harmless little Concertino.

Best to all.

reiger

Quote from: shamokin88 on Saturday 19 May 2012, 16:02
If I may join in the Louisville sweepstakes there are two pieces for which I am looking: the first Little Symphony by Robert Sanders [635] and the Divertimento by Alexei Haieff [611].

I think we have many reasons to be grateful to Robert Whitney, and not only for his harmless little Concertino.

Best to all.

The Haieff Divertimento is available on iTunes, so unfortunately I can't upload that one - but I've got the Sanders Little Symphony, which I'll get up there shortly.

BFerrell

Sanders Symphony in A, anyone?

shamokin88

Thank, you, Reiger, for the Sanders 1st Little Symphony.

The Symphony in A is available directly from New World Records. They now have the rights to the whole CRI catalogue and will make you a CD of it. Because the LP offered only the Symphony in A, that is all that will be on their CD.

I can put up the Violin Concerto and a couple of other short pieces as a consolation prize.

Best to all.

BFerrell

Any Sanders would be great! Thank you.

Dundonnell

Many thanks to reiger for the very quick response to my request for the Benjamin Lees Concerto for Orchestra :)

This is the first-but not, I think, the last- work by that very impressive composer to be uploaded for us here. I do know that a couple of members have a very substantial collection of the music which has not been commercially recorded and I think that other members may be able to get access to at least some of these in due course :)

reiger

Quote from: shamokin88 on Saturday 19 May 2012, 22:44
Thank, you, Reiger, for the Sanders 1st Little Symphony.

The Symphony in A is available directly from New World Records. They now have the rights to the whole CRI catalogue and will make you a CD of it. Because the LP offered only the Symphony in A, that is all that will be on their CD.

I can put up the Violin Concerto and a couple of other short pieces as a consolation prize.

Best to all.

Glad to be of service... And thanks to shamokin88 for the wonderful Deems Taylor pieces!