Estonian Music

Started by Amphissa, Tuesday 06 September 2011, 14:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Amphissa

It seems that every country is getting its own folder, so why not Estonia?

I have opened the folder with Tubin's 5th symphony. I am hoping to find some music by Kapp to add as well.

Please feel free to contribute to this folder.

semloh

Sicmu - thank you for the Kreek symphony. Maybe I am "conservative" too, because I think it's splendid. I agree that stylistically it is somewhat of a pastiche and certainly one would never guess that it was composed in 1953, but it's inventive and - to my ears - a delight. The short Wiki entry has Kreek as most noted for collecting Estonian folksong, and maybe that's why it's so tuneful.
It says that his crowning achievement was his Requiem, and tantalizingly refers to works for zithers and orchestra. I am alone in never having encountered such a combination?

Dundonnell

I don't suppose anyone out there has either Heino Eller's 1st Symphony(fp 1937) or his 3rd(fp 1962)?  I understand from the Estonian Music Information Centre that the 2nd was unfinished.

eschiss1

The Eller 3rd was on a Melodiia LP (conducted by some Jarvi fellow) around 1964 so hopefully someone has that...

Sicmu

Dundonnell

Quote from: Sicmu on Thursday 15 September 2011, 14:20
Eller's Symphony No.3 and much more can be found there :

http://muusika24.ee/Klassika/soundAuthor/1695

Many thanks for this link :) I shall register and download the symphony and probably a good deal more of Eller's music.

I see that the site has very little Kaljo Raid(1921-2005). I have Raid's 1st and 2nd symphonies but I know that he wrote four in total. Raid emigrated first to the USA and then Canada of course so perhaps he is no longer counted as fully Estonian?

Sicmu

Quote from: Dundonnell on Thursday 15 September 2011, 15:30
I see that the site has very little Kaljo Raid(1921-2005). I have Raid's 1st and 2nd symphonies but I know that he wrote four in total. Raid emigrated first to the USA and then Canada of course so perhaps he is no longer counted as fully Estonian?

You should ask Amphyssa  :) !

Amphissa

Wikipedia says he is Estonian and he is included on CDs with Tubin and Eller, so I would put him in the Estonian folder.

I'd love to here these symphonies!

Amphissa

I've added the incomplete Tubin Symphony 11 to the Estonian folder.

Latvian

QuoteRaid emigrated first to the USA and then Canada of course so perhaps he is no longer counted as fully Estonian?

Ask any Estonian -- once an Estonian, always an Estonian!

thalbergmad

Rudolf Tobias - Piano Concerto in D Minor

I have converted a youtube link to an MP3 and posted a rapidshare link in the downloads section.

A work that instantly appeals to my romantically tuned brain. I have checked with the pianist and no modern recording exists. Hopefully, someone will want to.

I am nowhere near being able to play this, but that is nothing new.

Concertingly.

Thal

Alan Howe

I am EXTREMELY grateful (hence the capital letters!) for the upload of Tobias' PC from that Melodiya LP. Marvellous stuff - can't understand why it's never been transferred to CD. Hyperion material surely?

thalbergmad

It is one of those works that instantly appeals to me and that has not diminished after a dozen hearings.

I am glad someone else likes it. My ears are easily pleased with sometimes empty works.

Concertingly.

Thal

Mark Thomas

Full Marks, Thal, for the Tobias. As I believe the phrase goes nowadays: "Now that's what I'm talkin' about!"

semloh

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Sunday 18 December 2011, 21:50
Full Marks, Thal, for the Tobias. As I believe the phrase goes nowadays: "Now that's what I'm talkin' about!"

Me too! Superb!

Thanks  :) :)