Estonian Music

Started by Amphissa, Tuesday 06 September 2011, 14:23

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

And thank you Christopher!  I was unaware of the uniqueness of the Baltic family of languages, particularly of the close relation between Lithuanian and Sanskrit!  Meanwhile, back in Estonia...

fr8nks

I am thankful to all who made it easy to register and search for music at the Estonian website.

Peter1953

Wow... what a beautiful, romantic 2nd PC Artur Lemba (1885-1963) wrote. Listen to this movement.
Actually, he composed 5 PCs of which his 1st has been released. How would his 2 Symphonies sound? The 1st is also available on CD.
I think this Estonian composer deserves our attention. Wikipedia gives us some information here.

fr8nks

Quote from: Peter1953 on Saturday 11 February 2012, 10:53
Wow... what a beautiful, romantic 2nd PC Artur Lemba (1885-1963) wrote. Listen to this movement.
Actually, he composed 5 PCs of which his 1st has been released. How would his 2 Symphonies sound? The 1st is also available on CD.
I think this Estonian composer deserves our attention. Wikipedia gives us some information here.

I have all 5 of Lemba's Piano Concertos and one of his symphonies. All are from broadcasts or LPs.

eschiss1

About Lydia Auster's violin concertino- The file description gives a different list of performers than the downloads entry (Suvi Kasmus etc. in the file description). Is there a reason for the discrepancy? :) And thanks! (Actually, hrm. There is a commercially-available (downloadable for cost, not free, it seems) recording of the Auster here with Käsmus either as the conductor or soloist, from Radio Estonia. One presumes that's not the one uploaded here, I don't think our rules allow it... do they?)

lechner1110

Eric,  it was my mistake :P
  Correct performers are Mari Tampere & Tallinn State Conservatory Symphony Orchestra. The information of mp3 is correct.

But I closed my upload now. Because it seems that this performance is available at Estonian radio site now.   
  Thanks for your notice, always :)

Atsushi

Dundonnell

There is a version already on the site by Juhan Schutz and the Estonian Radio Symphony Orchestra/Roman Matsov. That is the one I downloaded. Presumably it is still ok ???

lechner1110

I listened my file again. 
  The broadcast announcer said that "Performer is Mari Tampere.... " at the end of this recording.

The source of this recording is a broadcast without doubt.
  However, maybe same performance is available commercially at Estonian site.
  I think the better way is we are not to run any risk.

Anyway, music by Auster is very beautiful, in my view :)

Holger

One word regarding "Suvi Käsmus": this is no performer but the title of the piece. It means "Summer in Käsmu". The complete details about Atsushi's recording seem to be like that:

Lydia Auster (1912–1993)
"Summer in Käsmu", Lyrical Concertino for Violin and Orchestra Op. 25
Composed in 1966
I. Improvisazione. Morning
II. Adagio. On Forest Paths
III. Scherzo. Sun and Waves
Mari Tampere-Bezrodny, Violin / Tallinn State Conservatory Symphony Orchestra / Roman Matsov

However, this is really the same recording as available on the Estonian site.

jowcol

2 Works by Boris Parsadanyan

With the last name, you would expect him in the Armenian section, but he appears to be an honorary Estonian.  So I've put the download links in the Estonian folder.

I took the following bio from the Web, but I'm having a senior moment and don't remember where.  Please not the the last work may well be  a VC-- if anyone can find out more, please let me know and I'll update.

BORIS PARSADANYAN
(1925-1997) (RUSSIA/ESTONIA)
Born in Kislovdsk, Russia. his first studies were with Genrikh Litinsky at the Studio of the Armenian House of Culture. He later studied as a violin student at the Gnessin School in Moscow. After graduation, he moved to Estonia where he played the violin in the Tallinn Radio Orchestra and then attended the Tallinn Conservatory where he, studied composition with Heino Eller. He settled permanently in Estonia in 1950 where he composed all of his important works. His catalogue includes an opera, cantatas, chamber, solo instrumental and vocal works but is dominated by orchestral music. In addition to the recorded Symphonies, there are these others: Nos. 4 (1966), 5 (1974), 6 (1978), 8 (1981), 9 (1982), 10 (1986) and 11 (1987). There is also a Violin Concerto, Flute Concertino and the symphonic poem "David Sassunski."

Symphony 4 (1966)
Estonian Radio and TV Symphony Orchestra / Roman Matsov

Symphony No. 6 for Violin and Orchestra (1978)
Unknown Violinist / Estonian National Symphony Orchestra / Peeter Lilje

From the collection of Karl Miller

Holger

jowcol,

thanks for your Parsadanian upload. I didn't have these two symphonies before (but I do have Nos. 1, 2, 3&7). I think I can solve the miracle about the Sixth: www.violinconcerto.de really lists the Sixth as a piece for Violin and Orchestra, so everything should be alright. Moreover, Parsadanian's Violin Concerto is from 1955, and as based on his Symphonies Nos. 1&2 which are more or less from the same period I would dare to say that the piece you uploaded must have been written at a later point. As the Sixth is from 1978 this perfectly makes sense. In other words, I am pretty sure this is really the Sixth Symphony. By the way, it seems Parsadanian actually did not write a Symphony No. 5: according to Onno van Rijen's site, which is based on information by the composer's daughter, the existence of a Fifth Symphony was just a "practical joke" - whatever this may mean.

Since I have quite a bunch of Estonian music myself I am also able to correct some details regarding performers. So here are my updates:

Symphony No. 4 (1966)
Estonian Radio and TV Symphony Orchestra / Roman Matsov
(by the way, as far as I am informed the Estonian Radio and TV SO is the same orchestra as the Estonian National SO, the latter being its later and also its current name)

Symphony No. 6 for Violin and Orchestra (1978)
Unknown Violinist / Estonian National Symphony Orchestra / Peeter Lilje

Amphissa

Quote from: fr8nks on Saturday 11 February 2012, 16:09
Quote from: Peter1953 on Saturday 11 February 2012, 10:53

I have all 5 of Lemba's Piano Concertos and one of his symphonies. All are from broadcasts or LPs.

And will you be posting them to downloads .... I hope!

JimL

Any chance you can provide the movements of the Lemba PCs, Dave?  I guess it will be easier with the ones where you have the LPs. :)

Mark Thomas

Many thanks for the Lemba PCs, Dave. Lovely music. I look forward to the remaining pair.

fr8nks

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Friday 11 May 2012, 21:13
Many thanks for the Lemba PCs, Dave. Lovely music. I look forward to the remaining pair.
I don't know who Dave is but I uploaded the Lemba PCs. I don't have the LPs so I cannot provide movement titles. I will upload PC's 4 & 5 either tonight or tomorrow.

Best,
Frank