Estonian Music

Started by Amphissa, Tuesday 06 September 2011, 14:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Sorry, Frank, a senior moment on my part. I still appreciate the Lembas very much!

Mark Thomas

A Lemba work list, including some movement titles, is here.

fr8nks

No problem, Mark. I have senior moments all the time. I tried to think of a clever way to point out the mistaken identity but humor is sometimes lost in translation. Latvian and I have been trading music over the last 15 years--about 100 cassettes and 350 CDs. He provided me with the Lemba piano concertos several years ago and I have passed on all the information that I have on them. If Latvian had the movement titles, he would have given me that information. He has traded music with people from all around the world and these performances were probably radio broadcasts.

Oops! I just read your latest post. Thanks for the link.

Frank

eschiss1

I'm guessing Dave was a 2001 reference. We can't do that here. Anyhow, carry on...

JimL

Quote from: fr8nks on Friday 11 May 2012, 21:32
Quote from: Mark Thomas on Friday 11 May 2012, 21:13
Many thanks for the Lemba PCs, Dave. Lovely music. I look forward to the remaining pair.
I don't know who Dave is but I uploaded the Lemba PCs. I don't have the LPs so I cannot provide movement titles. I will upload PC's 4 & 5 either tonight or tomorrow.

Best,
Frank
Sorry, Fr8nk.  I thought Amphissa (Dave) was the one who uploaded them.  :-[

jowcol

Symphony 2  (1968) by Jaan Koha

I've posted this to the Estonian Downloads folder.
Symphony 2
  1. Allegro
2. Largo
3. Vivace
Estonian Radio and Television Symphony Orchestra
Neeme Jarvi, Conductor

22'
symphony orchestra: 3333, 4331, percussion (1+3), harp, strings

I don't know much (any?) about Koha, but this is one I'll need to listen to several more times.  The use of rhythm stands out, and I'd like to hear any more of his work.

I've taken the following background material from the From the Estonian Music Information Centre.  They say it's okay to reproduce if I give them the attribution.

First- he's known for:

•  dramatic neoclassicism
•  brisk pulsation(and how!)  linear polyphony, colourful sound imagery
•  orchestral and ensemble works, children's music

Here is the Bio:

December 17, 1929, Tartu – November 15, 1993, Tallinn
Member of the Estonian Composers' Union since 1955

Composer and pedagogue Jaan Koha started studying music with his father and continued with piano lessons at the Tartu Music School from 1942 to 1949. He studied composition at the Tallinn State Conservatoire with Mart Saar since 1949 and with Heino Eller since 1951, graduating from conservatoire in 1954.

In 1950–1954 and 1958–1966, he worked as a sound engineer at the Estonian Radio and in 1954–1958 as a music theory teacher at the Tartu Music School. He was a consultant at the Estonian Composers' Union in Tartu in 1957–58 and a secretary at the Estonian Composers' Union in 1966–1980. From 1979 to 1993 Koha was teaching music theory at the Tallinn Pedagogical University.

The most numerous part of his compositions is formed by songs and choral works. His compositions also include many works for stage, symphonic pieces and music for film, plays and radio drama. His works are mainly optimistical, figurative and rhythmical, including epical moods and cheerful images. His style of expression is sparing, thereat valuating the proper dosage of the means of expressions. Musical figures are colourful, themes are full of contrast, texture is clear and connection to Estonian folklore is noticeable.

Among all choral works one finds patriotic, lyrical, dramatic and humorous songs. Koha bears in mind the abilities and interests of children. He prefers texts of his contemporary poets. With his three symphonies, he is rightfully a considerable symphonist.

Jaan Koha has received prizes in composition competitions. His Piano Concerto No 1 was played successfully all over the Soviet Union, the song cycle Five Birds (dedicated to Tiit Kuusik) received acknowledgement as well. His works have been recorded at the Estonian Radio and published in Tallinn, Moscow and St. Petersburg. Koha was given the honorary title of Estonian SSR Honoured Worker in Arts (1970), the Estonian SSR Prize (1975) and the Estonian SSR Annual Music Prize (1974).
© EMIC 2010

Holger

jowcol,

once again some comments before the link is actually available: I know Koha's Symphony No. 2 and think it's a fascinating piece. In particular, the first movement is so full of energy and pulsation, great stuff. Usually, Jaan Rääts is regarded as the major Estonian composer of his generation. I have to admit that I tend to disagree a little, since I like Jaan Koha and Heino Jürisalu better – both of them of about the same age as Rääts and with similar stylistic features.

jowcol

Quote from: Holger on Wednesday 30 May 2012, 19:59
jowcol,

once again some comments before the link is actually available: I know Koha's Symphony No. 2 and think it's a fascinating piece. In particular, the first movement is so full of energy and pulsation, great stuff. Usually, Jaan Rääts is regarded as the major Estonian composer of his generation. I have to admit that I tend to disagree a little, since I like Jaan Koha and Heino Jürisalu better – both of them of about the same age as Rääts and with similar stylistic features.

I couldn't have described the first movement better myself.  Thanks for the added info.