French Music

Started by Sicmu, Saturday 10 September 2011, 17:06

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Quote from: Holger on Monday 13 February 2012, 20:17
jowcol, while your Landowski upload hasn't appeared yet, I can see a Harmonica Concerto by some "Pierre Lancen". I couldn't find out anything about this composer, but I think I have now solved the mystery. Actually, there is a Serge Lancen, born in 1922, died in 2005, who composed a Harmonic Concerto in 1954.

It only seems reasonable that the composer's surname was changed by error and that the Concerto by Serge Lancen is the one we really have.

Yes, indeed. You just beat me to it, Holger!  :)

According to the detailed biography of Serge Lancen at
http://www.molenaar.com/web/Details.aspx?isartist=1&id=3680

"...the Oboe Concerto (1991) was in fact a new version of the Concerto for Harmonica and Symphony Orchestra (1954) commissioned and also premiered by Larry Adler at the Birmingham Town Hall, Rudolf Schwarz conducting."

Instrumentation and score at: http://www.molenaar.com/web/details.aspx?isartist=0&id=7444

jowcol

Quote from: semloh on Monday 13 February 2012, 20:23
Quote from: Holger on Monday 13 February 2012, 20:17
jowcol, while your Landowski upload hasn't appeared yet, I can see a Harmonica Concerto by some "Pierre Lancen". I couldn't find out anything about this composer, but I think I have now solved the mystery. Actually, there is a Serge Lancen, born in 1922, died in 2005, who composed a Harmonic Concerto in 1954.

It only seems reasonable that the composer's surname was changed by error and that the Concerto by Serge Lancen is the one we really have.

Yes, indeed. You just beat me to it, Holger!  :)

According to the detailed biography of Serge Lancen at
http://www.molenaar.com/web/Details.aspx?isartist=1&id=3680

"...the Oboe Concerto (1991) was in fact a new version of the Concerto for Harmonica and Symphony Orchestra (1954) commissioned and also premiered by Larry Adler at the Birmingham Town Hall, Rudolf Schwarz conducting."

Instrumentation and score at: http://www.molenaar.com/web/details.aspx?isartist=0&id=7444

Actually, there isn't much more for me to say after the sleuthing of Holger and Semloh (which, is Holmes backwards.  A coincidence?  I think not), other than to indulge my obsession with finding photos for each of the artists I post.  Thanks!

Dundonnell

What happened to the Landowski ???

jowcol

Quote from: Dundonnell on Tuesday 14 February 2012, 00:51
What happened to the Landowski ???

UNSUNG FRENCH COMPOSER DISAPPEARS IN FLIGHT
Bermuda:  Air traffic controllers report that the aircraft carrying both Marcel Landowski and his Piano Concerto vanished from radar screens without explanation.  A Rescue team lead by Pierre Boulez returned shortly after setting out, claiming: "We are not willing to risk the revolution for a man who won't write in Dodecaphonic.  He is useless.  "    Internet forum members are still searching for the missing composer and his concerto.  The last witness to see him alive, who goes by the engimatic nickname of jowcol,  seemed unable to give a coherent account. 

Actually, no, he didn't disappear in the Bermuda triangle.  I think I happened to it.  I typed in the post,  saw the preview, saved a copy in my records, and closed the page without hitting  the post button.   I just posted it properly, (I hope) and it should be available as soon as it is approved.

Dundonnell

I am sure that we are looking forward to the safe landing of Monsieur Landowski and his First Piano Concerto ;D

JimL

Sure hope the mother ship doesn't disgorge them in the middle of the Gobi Desert! ;D

Dundonnell

Happy to see that Landowski touched down safely at last ;D

The Piano Concerto No.1 is entitled "Poeme" and dates from 1949-50.

jowcol

Quote from: Dundonnell on Tuesday 14 February 2012, 14:14
Happy to see that Landowski touched down safely at last ;D

The Piano Concerto No.1 is entitled "Poeme" and dates from 1949-50.

Thanks!  I'll update the posts.   If I don't chance upon the Bermuda Triangle, Bigfoot, or the living Elvis on my way.

jowcol

I've posted the Violin Concerto by Yvon Bourrel in the downloads section.  I've not been able to find out much about Bourrel, and welcome any input the rest of you may have.

What I can provide is a machine translation from a French Wiki page, which, at times, is tres surréaliste.

Born in 1932, nothing predisposed particularly Yvon Bourrel, this son of a teacher and a housewife (former teacher), to become a composer. And yet, his fate will change after hearing Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony on the radio during the war. It's a huge upheaval which will arouse in him a craving for music. Some ten years later, he studied composition with Darius Milhaud , who encouraged him strongly, and more briefly with Jean Rivier . However, in 1954, he became a music teacher in the National Education because it is inherently difficult to live in the composition, it also creates pieces that are not in the spirit of contemporary music then vogue from the mid fifties.

Indeed, his music, Y. Bourrel situates itself in the continuation of Emmanuel Chabrier , Gabriel Faure and Jean Francaix but is closer in taste Martinu , Shostakovich and Benjamin Britten , never giving the tone or modality. It has a very sober, served by a love for work well done.

Its origins and southern northerner partly explain the originality of its kind, combining a passionate sensibility, brought to dream and a spirit of contemplation and highly organized, easily dominating the major forms of musical language. He studied with Henri Challan (harmony), Simone Ple-Caussade (counterpoint and fugue), Darius Milhaud and Jean Rivier (composition).

His rich oeuvre (126 opus numbers) covers all genres of vocal and instrumental music, except opera. It is very varied and was inspired by the popular philosopher and musicologist Vladimir Jankelevitch , great defender of French music of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.

Dundonnell

Well I can't add any more information about the composer, apart from the fact that the violin concerto was written in 1986, but I can say that it is a delightful piece which I am very grateful to be able to hear :)

Thank you (both) for providing this cultured, civilised and impressive music (from which Mr. Gerard Brophy might take a lesson or two ;D. In the spirit of charity I shall say no more about his concerto ;D)

No...actually...I shall go further :) The Bourrel is more than just impressive it is an absolutely beautiful and moving work :) Why on earth have we not heard more of this composer :o

I must admit that, having read that he was a pupil of Milhaud, I was expecting something lightish, airy, jolly, sultry but instead we get an outpouring of Samuel Barber-like romantic gorgeous melody. WOW :) :)

jowcol

Funny, but I was trading emails with Brophy, and he told me that he was visiting the UK, along with the Australian Olympic  Boxing team.   I made sure to give him your address. He said that he and his mates would pay you a visit.   :P

Seriously- the Bourrel is a lovely work, and I'd love to hear some other orchestral works by him.

jowcol

Oh- if you liked the Bourrel, you may also like the Horace Perkins VC I just uploaded to the Australian composers.  Quite tonal-  more swagger than the Bourrel, for good and for bad.

JimL

Loved that Bourrel!  Will check on that Perkins later.

Dundonnell

The Bourrel is the most impressive and really magnificent violin concerto I have heard for a very long time :)

I have totally fallen in love with the piece and cannot stop playing it.....which, I assure you, says an awful lot for it ;D

(It is light years removed from the Brophy ;D Still....different folks, different strokes, I suppose ;D)

britishcomposer

I am currently uploading Marcel Dupré's De Profundis op. 17, a live recording taken from Bavarian Radio. I am aware of two commercial recordings with organ-only accompaniment, this however is the orchestral version. A beautiful piece, more in the vein of Duruflé than Dupré, I think.

Edit: Sorry, there IS indeed at least one recent recording of the orchestral version, released in 2010 by the small label Querstand:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/De-Profundis-Geistliche-Chorwerke/hnum/6337124