Italian Music

Started by jerfilm, Friday 23 September 2011, 14:02

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Unless La Vecchia drastically upped his tempos from his recording for this concert, I'd bet it's Noseda.  If you take out the gaps for applause, tuning of strings, mopping of brows, etc., the timings of the movements are close to dead on.

JimL

I didn't want this to sink too far down and be forgotten.  I truly believe that the identification of the tracks is accurate, and that this is the Noseda performance.  The disparity of the timings between La Vecchia's more deliberate pace and Noseda's is too obvious, and even if it isn't the performance recorded on CD it should at least be labelled properly in the post.

JimL

Just bringing it up to the top again... ;)

JimL

Welcome back, Mark!  So sorry to hear your turning over the helm, but perhaps it's time.  However, since there's still a few weeks to go, I hope you remember we have some unfinished business regarding the Casella S2 download.  I'm more firmly convinced than ever that someone pulled a switcheroo and informed our supplier that it was the La Vecchia performance when in fact it's Noseda.  Perhaps you can make getting to the bottom of that one of your ultimate tasks as Administrator.

Mark Thomas

To be perfectly honest, Jim, it's not high on my list of priorities. Perhaps you could summarise succinctly the evidence for your contention?

JimL

OK.  Exhibit A:

The download post contains the following information:

Alfredo Casella (1883-1947)
Symphony No. 2 in C minor

[Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma
F.La Vecchia, conductor]

[11-12 January 2009]

[recorded from Radio Classica]

Exhibit B:

When you unzip the file, however, the text and file both contain the following information:

Alfredo Casella (1883-1947)

BBC Philharmonic
Gianandrea Noseda, conductor

Palazzo dei Congressi, Stresa
4 September 2009

Comparison of the timings listed on the CDs of both performances (and I'm assuming that those are studio recordings, not live as this one is) shows the timings of the movements are more consistent with Noseda's interpretation.  La Vecchia's first movement is 13:20, whereas Noseda's is almost a minute less.  When I split this file, I got 12:30.  IIRC, on the Noseda CD it's about 12:39, probably including a few seconds of silence before and after the music.

Alan Howe

Since it was Amphissa who originally uploaded the symphony, perhaps he could enlighten us? I'll send him a message.

Mark Thomas

Thanks. We need to see the evidence for the defence!  ;)

Amphissa

My apology for not responding sooner to this thread. I've been away of late.

And I apologize for the confusion.

The descriptive information included within the Zip folder is correct. This recording was from a concert conducted by Noseda. The entire concert program was as follows --

Mendelssohn
Ruy Blas, Overture

Bartók
Piano Concerto No. 3

Casella

Jean-Efflam Bavouzet, piano
BBC Philharmonic
Gianandrea Noseda, conductor

Palazzo dei Congressi, Stresa
4 September 2009

I'm not sure where I got the La Vecchia attribution, but it was done in error. I'll go back and edit the post to correct it. The information included in the Zip file is the accurate attribution.

JimL

Sounds like a HELLUVA concert, too!  Very imaginative programming by the Beeb.

Alan Howe

Thanks for the clarification.

Mark Thomas

Thanks Amphissa. Case closed, then, with a verdict of not guilty! Thanks, too, Jim, for your determined vigilance.

JimL

Hey, I just want to know how to label it in my iTunes.  I'm a bit obsessive about that kind of stuff!  ;D