Italian Music

Started by jerfilm, Friday 23 September 2011, 14:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Sicmu

Hi eschiss,

I have pictures of the sleeves of both symphony 5 and 6 but it is in cyrillic ( Mannino was so close to the regime that I wondered wether I should post this to the soviet folder !) : let me know if you are interested

I assume you know the website dedicated to the composer ( url at the bottom of the wiki page), he was a prolific composer but IMO his music  lacked direction, that's maybe a reason he tried so different techniques - something film composers tend to do as they want to get the most colorful and sometimes  most aggresive sounds from the orchestra).

eschiss1

Thanks! May still be interested and may be able to get them translated. I do have the movement listing for sym5 and will try to get the same for sym 6. And sleeve images are good for reducing-in-size-and-uploading to my iPod (in the absence of score previews, say the first page of a symphony or quartet, which I personally prefer for the purpose...) anycase :)!

eschiss1

BTW, according to several Canadian websites (not CBC specifically), sym. 5 is called Rideau Lake because of a commission from the Canadian orchestra which Mannino was conducting at the time. (Italian Wikipedia claims it was composed in 1984 but the commission was requested in 1985, so unless Mannino used a pre-existing symphony... hrm.  Anyhow, premiered Feb. 12 1986 with the National Arts Centre Orchestra, Canada.) (Although according to the book ''Art and politics: the history of the National Arts Centre'' the commission did not specify a symphony and became- or rather it and its cost and suchlike became- part of a growing conflict between the orchestra and the conductor... ow.)

alberto

Has anybody the Melodya record containing Mannino's "Tropical dances" for 20 cellos (Just to quote one odd title in the composer too huge output)?.
(Indeed while I saw several times Mannino as pianist -good, as long as years allowed; and as conductor, "average" I would say;I have never seen one of his apparently many USRR made recordings).
His web-site (in Italian only, if I am right) is apologetical beyond any limit.

Sicmu

So here's the link for pics of the back sleeves ( Mannino's Symphony 5+6) :

http://www.mediafire.com/?dq98hmz3pd0g0gu

Sorry I don't have anything else by this composer.

eschiss1

alberto

alberto

semloh

Quote from: Amphissa on Tuesday 25 October 2011, 03:18
Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco (1895-1968)
Variazioni fantastiche `I nottambuli' for cello & orchestra

Massimo Amfitheatrof, cello
Orchestra Sinfonica "A.Scarlatti" di Napoli della Rai
Pietro Argento, conductor

Naples
14 November 1963

http://www.mediafire.com/?o05buo95wjk5vnt

Amphissa, this Mediafire link is taking me to Bosmans' Piano Concertino, I think.

:)

Amphissa

Ah! My apology. I think I have corrected the link. Please try it again.

eschiss1

... hrm... both the Malipiero recordings I have have been reissued on CD (sym. 7 cond. Mitropoulos on a 2CD set of Cetra recordings, and the violin concerto no.1 coupled with Casella's). Lots haven't (I think that of one of the quartets with Respighi and Pick-Mangiagalli works played by the Quartetto Italiano that I heard at the library has not found its way to CD yet) but those two have. Neat...

Dundonnell

Klaus Heymann of Naxos says that Naxos indeed to issue two further cds with "the rest of Malipiero's orchestral music" :o

Since I can count at least eleven Malipiero orchestral works that have not been recorded(including Concerti for Orchestra, Violin Concerto No.2, Flute Concerto) that will be difficult ;D

eschiss1

maybe they're switching to high-density dvds soon.

Dundonnell

I have uploaded a major but seldom performed composition by Luigi Dallapiccola-his Canti di Liberazione-in a performance given for Italian Radio by the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra under Sixten Ehrling.

Dundonnell

Recently added are Goffredo Petrassi's Concerto No.1 for Orchestra(1934) with the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra/Mario Rossi and Concerto No.6 for Orchestra "Invenzione Concertata"(1957) with Rome Symphony Orchestra of Italian Radio/Massimo Pradella

and

Gianfrancesco Malipiero's "Pause del silenzio I"(1917) with the Rome Symphony Orchestra of Italian Radio/Massimo Pradella.

All are from radio broadcasts.