Italian Music

Started by jerfilm, Friday 23 September 2011, 14:02

Previous topic - Next topic

shamokin88

I have deleted and uploaded anew the Mario Zafred 4th Symphony. Shamokin88.

Alan Howe

Thanks, Dave, for uploading the magnificent Sinigaglia Violin Concerto - one of the pieces I have longed to hear for years. I had no idea that it had been recorded - wonderful!

JimL

You know, Dave, one of the works on that LP was Antonio Bazzini's 4th Violin Concerto in A minor, Op. 38.  Any chance you could download that one, too?  ;)

alberto

Many thanks to Dave also from me for the Sinigaglia VC.
I never heard about that LP.
By the way, Alfonso Mosesti was not a full time soloist, but for many years leader of Torino Radio Orchestra.
Ferruccio Scaglia was certainly not a first rank conductor.....therefore often in charge (also) for the unusual.
For instance in 1976 he was charged to conduct the following program:
Kabalevskij The comedians, suite
Menotti Fantasia for cello and orch. (world premiere, Lawrence Lesser cello; it was rather a good piece for the '70s standards, at least in Italy).
Raff Symphony n.3.....at the last moment substituted by Mendelssohn Reformation Sym.
(The complete Raff 3 at Torino radio was conducted in 1950 by Armando La Rosa Parodi and in 1969 by Mario Rossi).

semloh

:) Arbuckle - thank you for a wonderful swag of Italian music - the de Nardis is such a delight, the bit of crackle is soon forgotten. Would you be able to say who are the performers?

alberto

About reply 9 and the source of Casella Symphony 2.
Yesterday evening I met Maestro Noseda, after a concert; he said me he has not yet ever conducted Casella Sym. otherwise than in the studio recording. He will conduct it soon in Pittsburgh (with then Pittsburgh Orch.).

Amphissa

Ah! Then the information I have regarding the source of the performance is incorrect. There is no doubt that it is a live performance. But by whom?

alberto

On 11st and 12th January 2009, in Roma, there were two concert performances of Casella Sym. 2 by F.La Vecchia and the Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma. They appear to me likely candidates.

Amphissa

Alberto, do you know if these performances were also played on radio? I think you have discovered the true performance!

alberto

Apparently the concerts of the "Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma" (or at least some of them) are broadcast on the private Italian radio channel "Radio Classica", which mingles classical music and financial news.

Amphissa

I will substitute your information. I think the person who sent this recording to me mixed up his notes pertaining to the performance.

I will put the information in brackets, because we cannot be 100% certain. But I think your information is most likely to be correct.

So, for everyone, here is the new identification for the Casella Symphony No. 2 recording.

Alfredo Casella (1883-1947)
Symphony No. 2 in C minor

[Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma
F.La Vecchia, conductor]

[11-12 January 2009]

[recorded from Radio Classica]

Latvian

QuoteCamillo de Nardis
  Scene Abruzzesi, Suite No. 2
    Scarlatti Orchestra di Napoli, Pietro Argento (LP Colosseum Records CLPS 1037)

Arbuckle, If I understood correctly, you uploaded the second suite in addition to the first; but I can't find a link anywhere. I'm eager to hear it, if you have it...

JollyRoger

Is anyone familiar with Bruno Bettinelli (1913-2004)?
Very compelling, yet abrasive music, somewhat in the mode of Bartok's more dissonant music.
This piece was done with Lenny Bernstein himself conducting.
You can hear his Sinfonia Brevis (1954) from an old discontinued CD  here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2xQ3MS93Wk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fImTYCKSDvw&feature=related

Orchestra sinfonica del Teatro "La Fenice" di Venezia diretta da Leonard Bernstein

eschiss1

Sicmu- I've seen the score of the Mannino 5th (1984- 6 is from 1986), a decade or more ago, and been at least moderately curious about it ever since (the look of the piece does impress itself on the mind in my honest opinion). Thanks for giving a person the chance to hear it. (I think there's maybe been a commercial recording - ah! On Melodiia in 1987, conducted by the composer. "Simfonii︠a︡ no. 5, soch. 237 : "Ozero rido" / F. Mannino (28:12)." (Ah, same recording.)) A solo cello work (by Mannino, when looking through new arrivals at Cornell library) I have seen is at least more conventional in its demands on performing techniques (whereas at least in its appearance- not the greatest guarantor of sound- the symphony no.5 has a... Ligeti-ish? ... - suggestion?... glissandi x n, random sections, if I remember, I think...).

BTW Symphony 5 is as noted op.237 ("concertante for soloists and orchestra" is the other subtitle, published 1985), symphony 6 is op.262 (copyright 1987). He seems to have composed 12 symphonies according to Italian Wikipedia. (movement listing for sym.5 -

#Colours of Rideau Lake
#Trees on Rideau Lake
#Birds of Rideau Lake
#Summer Storm
#Peace and Love on Rideau Lake

eschiss1

According to http://artsalive.ca/collections/nacmusicbox/chronologique-timeline/index.php/en/html/vue-view/76 which links to mp3s of a different (I think - 1986-02-12) recording of the Mannino 5th symphony courtesy of CBC Radio 2 - the movements of Mannino 5 are
#Colours of Rideau Lake
#Trees on Rideau Lake
#Birds of Rideau Lake
#Summer Storm
#Peace and Love on Rideau Lake

also conducted by the composer. (Posting here instead of to Downloads Discussion because of the direct mp3 links on the page. I am under the impression they are authorized but they still count as downloads.) (This seems to link to a recording of the premiere.)
Eric