Louis Abbiate (1866-1933)

Started by semloh, Monday 26 September 2011, 02:41

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Wow! Thanks, Arbuckle, I'm looking forward to listening to these. Had no idea there were any Monegasgue composers. I see that Wiki lists a further three - Charles Albrecht, who wrote their national anthem, and Marc Giacone and Didier Marouani, both contemporary composers. Albrecht (1817-1895) doesn't appear in Grove, and maybe he was principally a conductor.

eschiss1

and Franz Schreker, though Austrian, was born there :)

semloh

Schreker - ah, well spotted - I am surprised.

I wonder if Louis Abbiati was related to Franco Abbiati (1898-1981), who was born not far away, in Lombardy, and is described in various places as "Italy's greatest musicologist". But then, maybe it's a common surname in that part of the world.

I've just spent the evening listening to the Abbiati works and a very enjoyable experience it has been. This surely another composer whose works cry out to be heard on CD. I wonder if anyone can identify any particular influences or resemblances... is there a hint of Saint-Saens maybe? I'd be interested to hear what others think....

thalbergmad

Immense thanks to Arbuckle for this. I have been hoping someone would have a recording of the Concerto Italien since a friend of mine dug up the score from a library in Paris.

Now that I have heard it (instead of relying on my non existent sight reading), I am a little uncomfortable with the "big dramatic virtuoso writing in late nineteenth century style" as described in Hinson's Guide. That was not the overall vibe I got.

Concertingly.

Thal

eschiss1

As there has now been a request for more Abbiate (the 2 cello sonatas - since the pianist in that recording, Bernard Ringeissen, has also recorded many of his piano sonatas for the same label also I think in the 1970s, maybe those could be added to the list :) ) and since the Abbiate in the downloads board has expired, might I ask while waiting along with the requester for someone to upload the sonatas *g* that the cello concerto and piano concerto be given a new lease on life? Thanks much and appreciated! I regret having missed them first time around. - Eric

Ser Amantio di Nicolao

Seconding this request - I, too, missed them upon first blush, and would love a second crack at the melon, thanks.

Arbuckle

Elroel

Thanks Arbuckle, for the Abbiate pieces.
So far I heard a couple of piano works of his, but never the Cello Cto. He was a great cello player in his time. He received the diploma's from Turin (Italy) Music School and later again from the Conservatoire de Paris. When played for the first time in Paris, they knocked down this concerto. I can not apprehend why, because for me it is a very pleasant concerto. Must have been that they found it not modern enough?
His 'Méthode de Violoncelle' is, if I can believe the Internet, still available at Boosey.com ($ 72.00)
I look forward for any of his cello pieces, if anyone has any.
May be we should ask Pieter Wispelwey to give it a chance by recording some of it.
Dolmetsch Online considers him being an Italian(!) composer, for what it's worth.

Elroel