New World Composers

Started by Amphissa, Thursday 29 September 2011, 14:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Amphissa

I've opened a new folder for New World composers, to include all of the countries south of the United States. Many of these composers studied in Europe, Russia and the U.S., but receive very little international recognition.

Thanks for contributing right off, A.S.

Amphissa

I have added to this folder the 1st Symphony of Julian Carillo (1875-1965). He was born in Mexico, but spent a great deal of his life in Europe and the U.S. as well as his home country. Although he dropped out of primary school due to family hardship, he was a brilliant mind and talented musician. His research into node law garnered a nomination for the Nobel Prize in physics.

The 1st Symphony is a relatively early work, Which he premiered in Leipzig. It was very well received when he conducted it with the orchestra he had organized in NY called the American Symphony Orchestra (perhaps you've heard of it). In 1916, he wrote the musical score for D.W, Griffith's Intolerance. His theory of the natural evolution of music coalesced into a microtonal theory called "The Thirteenth Sound."

You can read more about Carillo on Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juli%C3%A1n_Carrillo

lechner1110

Amphissa

Thanks to upload Julian Carillo's symphony no.1
  This work is very good work!

By the way, who anyone know did  Carillo's symphony no.2 is recorded?
  I know his symphony no.3 is recorded, but no.2 , I don't know it.

Atsushi

Richard Moss

Soon after becoming aware of this site (thank you so much Giles!), I found that someone had provided the link for the Ricardo Castro PC (on YOUTUBE) which I then downloaded.  I also bought the CD of his CC as a follow up. 

At the time, the comments here suggested that the Castro PC might be recorded in the future, with a suitable partner being the SORO PC.

After downloading Soro's symphony from this site just a few days ago, I then found a short clip from his PC (again on YOUTUBE), together with a few other of his short orchestral pieces.  Potentially his PC is another UNSUNG treasure?

Does anyone have a version they can upload, since a commercial recording does not seem to be anywhere near coming over the horizon?

Thank you in hope/anticipation??!!

Richard

eschiss1

Hrm. ... a symphony in D major of Carillo was released conducted by the composer as part of a 12-LP set in 1965- on the label Sonido 13, not sure which symphony this is ? (Lamoureux Concerts Orchestra.) In any case, that would be LPs... hrm... (I think that's probably symphony no.1 though. Some refs. to it say re mayor, some re minor.)

Dundonnell

Thanks, Atsushi, for the Santoro Symphony No.6 :)

I have the 4th and 9th on a BIS cd.

lechner1110

Colin, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Santoro :)
  I have Symphony no.5 and no.7 by Santoro ( original is LP) , but there recordings are available on CD (maybe Brazilian company)

And I have next recordings by Latain American composer's symphony.
  These are not available on CD as far as I know, and I will upload one of these days.

TAVARES, MÁRIO (1928-2003, BRAZIL) : Symphony No. 1 "Guararapes" (1981)
  FABIO GONZÁLEZ-ZULETA (b. 1920, COLOMBIA)  and Symphony No. 4 "del Café" (1963)

Arbuckle

Will add Soro's piano concerto from LP

Richard Moss

Dear 'Arbuckle'

Many tks for uploading the Soro PC.  I'm downloading as I type - looking forward now to hearing the whole work, (not just the Youtube clip)

Once again, thank you

Richard

PS Thanks too (again!!) for all the many other (romantic) uploads that you and the others have provided and which are providing so much listening pleasure.

Amphissa

After a couple of weeks of very busy times, traveling and at work, I finally have the chance to upload a few more items. Most fun, perhaps, is a concert dominated by New World composers, by Dudamel with the Berlin Philharmonic. I am not a big fan of "The Dude", but I do appreciate his ongoing effort to promote the music of some of the major New World composers. And the BPO does not exactly have Latin and South American music in their blood. They are more "stiff" than the orchestras of the Americas playing this repertoire. Still, it is a fun concert featuring some excellent music.

DavidGabri

Quote from: Amphissa on Saturday 12 November 2011, 18:31
After a couple of weeks of very busy times, traveling and at work, I finally have the chance to upload a few more items. Most fun, perhaps, is a concert dominated by New World composers, by Dudamel with the Berlin Philharmonic. I am not a big fan of "The Dude", but I do appreciate his ongoing effort to promote the music of some of the major New World composers. And the BPO does not exactly have Latin and South American music in their blood. They are more "stiff" than the orchestras of the Americas playing this repertoire. Still, it is a fun concert featuring some excellent music.

Unable to see your uploaded items.

Mark Thomas

As far as I can see, both Amphissa's posts to the Downloads board and the files that they link to are working OK.

semloh

Quote from: jerfilm on Sunday 13 November 2011, 19:06
Adriana Fiqueros Manas - Argentina

Here's what is apparently an official website for Ms. Manas which includes downloads of numerous works including LatinoAmerica Fantasy for piano and orchestra, Metropolis sym poem, and other interesting, I think, works. 

http://www.ciweb.com.ar/figueroa/obra2.php#audio

I'd be interested to hear what others think of her work.

Jerry

Jerry, I have had a great time downloading from this site and enjoying the music. It's a very entertaining mix of styles and sounds, never boring but not making any significant demands on the listener - a kind of "Robert Docker meets Villa-Lobos" (apologies for the confusion of nationalities!)  ;D ;D - and a refreshing change from our usual deep-and-meaningful (and wonderful) symphonics.

Many thanks for drawing attention to it ... Metropolis is particularly enjoyable.

:)

DavidGabri

But sir in the very first post there is no link. I think it has been edited by Amphissa.

Amphissa

There is a link in that first post to a work by Peruvian composer Celso Garrido-Lecca.