Havergal Brian Gothic Symphony from Hyperion

Started by albion, Saturday 01 October 2011, 09:40

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

I have the dreadful suspicion that whoever made that cover thinks 'Gothic' has something to do with horror and not architecture or a period in history...

JimL

I think it's the whole "Goths wear black" thing.

J.Z. Herrenberg

If Goths are going to buy this, they'll be in for a surprise.

Though you never know - some of them may actually like it!

Alan Howe

Again, I have to say that I care not one jot about the design of the CD booklet's cover. I shan't be looking at the front when I'm reading what's inside and only the spine will be visible on my shelf...

Gareth Vaughan

I'm 100% with Alan. Who cares about the cover!? It's the music that matters.

J.Z. Herrenberg

I don't care about the cover, either. I know and love Brian's music and I might even only buy the download... But this isn't about us, Brian enthusiasts and the already-converted. This is about making Havergal Brian attractive to those who don't know him yet, but who might be interested. And then packaging does matter. That's all.

albion

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on Thursday 13 October 2011, 17:33But this isn't about us [and] packaging does matter.

Yes, cover-art does matter if you are trying to preach to the unconverted, as Westminster Gold would no doubt agree. Although (to coin the vulgar vernacular) a phrase involving "fire" and "mantlepiece" may spring to mind, a product that looks attractive is perhaps more likely to fall off the shelf into a waiting basket than one that looks as though nobody could be bothered to give much thought to it.

:o

Alan Howe

I don't find the cover at all unacceptable.
Anyway, we've covered this issue now, so let's concentrate on the musical result - which, to my ears and from the excerpts I've heard, sounds better balanced than the radio broadcast.

M. Henriksen

It could have been worse!
Sorry, I know there is a specific topic for these covers...

Morten

britishcomposer

Quote from: M. Henriksen on Thursday 13 October 2011, 19:15

It could have been worse!
Sorry, I know there is a specific topic for these covers...

Morten

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWAY FROM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 13 October 2011, 19:05
Anyway, we've covered this issue now, so let's concentrate on the musical result - which, to my ears and from the excerpts I've heard, sounds better balanced than the radio broadcast.

I agree, the sound has more depth.

Alan Howe

A quick phone-call to MDT this morning suggests that they will be selling it at £19.90, although the set is not actually on their system yet.

hemmesjo

Presto Classical is offering it at 17 pounds.  Hyperion is on sale. Just ordered.

Dan

Update: My cost is without VAT.