News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Ludvig Norman

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 04 October 2011, 22:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Downloading the radio recording of Norman's 2nd Symphony recently has prompted me to have another listen to his symphonies. It seems to me that Schumann is a potent influence, but, when it comes to Symphony No.3 we have a very fine Swedish symphony whose neglect is entirely unjustified (it has been recorded together with the 1st Symphony on Sterling) and which has some absolutely glorious moments.
....which also prompts me to ask whether anyone out there has a radio recording in decent sound of Norman 3.......?

jerfilm

Norman 1 seems to be the one that's hard to come by......

Jerry

eschiss1

I heard his E major/minor string quartet (second, I think, of 6, though described as first) on the radio and quite like that work- and the others I have seen in score and heard, I think...

Syrelius

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 04 October 2011, 22:18
Downloading the radio recording of Norman's 2nd Symphony recently has prompted me to have another listen to his symphonies. It seems to me that Schumann is a potent influence, but, when it comes to Symphony No.3 we have a very fine Swedish symphony whose neglect is entirely unjustified (it has been recorded together with the 1st Symphony on Sterling) and which has some absolutely glorious moments.
....which also prompts me to ask whether anyone out there has a radio recording in decent sound of Norman 3.......?

Unfortunately not. I know that there is an LP recording of the 3rd symphony from the early 1980:ies on the old ABBA label Polar Music. I heard it in my late teens and as I remember it, this recording was by far superior to the Sterling release. If I recall correctly it was performed by the Stockholm Philharmonic. The same orchestra actually performed the symphony under Andrew Manze last season. Unfortunately it wasn't possible for me to attend the concert - it is not that often that you are able to hear the Stockholm Philharmonic play the work of an unsung composer...  After the concert the reviewer of one of the Stockholm newspapers described the symphony as "wagnerian" in some places, which I found a bit odd. Schumann, yes, and maybe a bit of Brahms perhaps...

jerfilm

I have the 3rd on an old cassette recording which I presume came from a broadcast.  Will check that out when I get home.  Tomorrow's the day......

Jerry

Alan Howe

Well, courtesy of Atsushi, we now have a download available of Andrew Manze's performance of the 3rd Symphony with the Helsingborg SO. And what it reveals is a work of true substance - certainly one of the most impressive symphonies written in Scandinavia prior to the later and more well-known Stenhammar/Nielsen/Sibelius/Sinding generation. Together with the best of Berwald, Gade and Svendsen this is a symphony which is deserving of admission to the regular repertoire. It's not Wagnerian in any sense, of course; what we have here is the continuation of the conservative tradition of Schumann with added colour and clout, as it were. Absolutely glorious music and truly inspired.

Peter1953

I'm interested in his 2nd Symphony in E flat major, op. 40.

Mark Thomas

Alan's assessment of Norman's Third is bang on the nail. The old Sterling recording with the South African orchestra under Eichenholz is a pale reflection of what the work should be, as revealed by the interpretation we now have. Certainly, it's an old-fashioned work for the early 1880s and is squarely in the conservative tradition - it could almost be Schumann's Fifth - but if you appreciate Dietrich's Symphony, say, then you'll revel in this fine work.

edurban

I just gave Symphony No. 3 a listen, and it really is a magnificent work.  The only encounter I'd had previously with Norman was No. 1 in the Sterling performance and I admit that although I initially was intrigued, I quickly lost interest.  The later symphony is a different story; a blazing piece, and well led by Manze. 

Thanks to all for their recomendations and, of course, the download.

David

Alan Howe

Listening again to Norman 3, I discover that time has not lessened its appeal or impact. It's a truly passionate and occasionally quite dark piece in the conservative tradition - which, like the best of the composers writing in the same tradition (think Reinecke, Jadassohn, etc.), still finds that there is much to say. There is also something noble about Norman's music which I find very attractive and actually quite moving. Splendid stuff. How about a decent recording, someone? (And, if you haven't tried the download to which there is a link on this site, it's available here: http://www.mediafire.com/?t7gu9urh9k9v28w)

eschiss1

I hope some more of his chamber music will find CD release; what I've heard seems to deserve it (several fine string quartets, for instance, sometimes rebroadcast from Swedish Radio over BBC Through the Night at one point, maybe still. As with Fuchs' E major string quartet, he chooses to end his quartet in that key in a fast movement in the parallel minor (no picardy third here, either) - maybe not an unusual choice, but a strong one.)

Peter1953

I have his Piano Quartet in E minor, op. 10 coupled with the String Quartet in C major, op. 42 on a disc from Musica Sveciae (1994). Although both works are fine, especially the piano quartet, they are not memorable to my ears. I much more like his stronger symphonic works, in particular his 3 symphonies.