News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Kuula and Suolahti

Started by HerbieG, Tuesday 08 September 2009, 00:52

Previous topic - Next topic

HerbieG

Following on from Melartin, has anyone come across the works of Kuula or Suolahti?  Both died young and both were formidable composers.  I have a couple of orchestral works by Kuula in recordings from the radio and a piano trio, recorded by BIS. 

Hekki Suolahti was only 16 when he died - complications of a hernia, I think - and the only work I have ever heard was written the year before he died - the Sinfonia piccola, which has been broadcast several times on 'Through the Night' on Radio 3.  It begins just like Sibelius's First Symphony - two solo clarinets - but it's an amazingly compact and masterly work for someone of that age - most memorable. He left several other works but I have never been able to get hold of any of them.  Have any of you heard this work, and if so, what do you think?

Mark Thomas

Kuula is unknown to me but I did come across Suolahti about nine months ago and I agree with everything which you say about his Symphony. A really impressive piece of work.

Syrelius

Finnish label Alba has released a CD containing works for choir and orchestra by Kuula. I haven't heard them yet, though.

I have never heard of Suolahti before. Sounds like a very interesting composer, though.