News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Danish music

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 13 October 2011, 21:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Thanks Regriba. I checked the catalogue of the Royal Danish Library before writing in my post that Emil Hartmann wrote two youthful symphonies and four, numbered mature ones. The Copenhagen library has the manuscripts of the first two and published scores for the other four (plus manuscripts for some IIRC) and, judging by its very comprehensive collection, seems to be the repository of Hartmann's music. That looks like it confirms Inger Sørensen's assertion that Hartmann did indeed write seven symphonies, not eight.

The movement titles which I quoted for the First Symphony came from the online record for one of scores of held by the Royal Danish Library.

Mark Thomas

To follow up on the Hartmann symphonies, I've uploaded to Mediafire a radio recording of his contemporary Peter Heise's only Symphony. It's not quite what you'd expect from the composer of Drot og Marsk or that impressive Piano Quintet...

Mark Thomas

I've just uploaded the Piano Quintet op.40 (pub.1890) of Otto Malling (1848-1915), a pupil of Gade and JPE Hartmann. If you know his Piano Concerto or the Piano Trio, then you'll know what to expect: melodious and well-crafted music from the height of romanticism. Unfortunately the sound quality, whilst not getting in the way of enjoying the music, is rather thin and restricted.

eschiss1

BTW the Malling Quintet is not in G; it's in E minor, and a score has been uploaded to IMSLP here (movements are
*Allegro moderato (E minor)
*Scherzo: Allegro molto (B minor)
*Serenade: Andantino, poco allegretto (G major)
*Finale: Allegro molto (E minor).

eschiss1

I meant to head over to Cornell today and write down the movement titles of E Hartmann's 3rd symphony and a few other things, but got distracted- apologies. Will soon really.