News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Danish music

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 13 October 2011, 21:44

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

by the way, about the Horneman, viaf.org accepts Hornemann as an alternative input but gives Horneman as the authoritative surname, yes :) (Also , the Dacapo won't be the premiere of the suite- it's been recorded on BIS already, back in 1998. Their suite doesn't have an overture either, just four movements - Sunrise- Chorus - Dance of the Satyrs - Bacchanale. ... erm... hrm. That looks like it's the right length to -be- the suite... oh. no, a bit brief...)

Ah! No, this is it.
Overture: Petter Sundkvist/ Danish Radio Concert Overture, 1997.10.26, in Copenhagen, live. This from CADENSA.

Erm. I mean Concert Orchestra. Concert Orchestra. Yes. My fault, not CADENSA's. - Edit

britishcomposer

Good to know! :D
I cannot keep in mind all those Danish 'man(n)'s: Horneman with one 'n', Hartmann with two...
Ah yes, the Hartmann family was of German origin, that explains it. :D

Just learned that Niels Viggo Bentzon was a great-grandson of J. P. E. Hartmann - as was another composer: Jean-Pierre Waelbroeck.
Moreover the director Lars von Trier is said to be a descendant of Hartmann as well!

Dundonnell

Niels Viggo Bentzon...now there's a Danish composer who will never have all his orchestral compositions on disc ;D ;D

24 Symphonies.......8 Piano Concertos....664 opus numbers....at least ;D

eschiss1

Bentzon and Langgaard- well, people may have a go and especially with Langgaard I'll be curious to hear. I have Bentzon 2 (for piano and orchestra, opus 36, 1945) (Dreier/North Schleswig SO, piano soloist unidentified?) and 6 (Piccola, 1950, opus 66) (Jens Schrøder/Aalborg city orchestra) (dates of broadcast and movement headings on both unknown, help welcome)  in what are almost definitely broadcast (i.e. not commercial) recordings, actually... hrm..
(At least symphonies 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8 have appeared on CD I see.)

Dundonnell

Many, Many Thanks for the Bentzon uploads :) :)

eschiss1

Welcome :) Re Horneman, DaCapo will be releasing some of his string quartets too next year I see (and some unidentified Holmboe works - there's a composer I've gotten to love ever since hearing a tape of the LP of his 9th quartet. I don't have that performance digitized yet, I think... still looking for the CD a friend sent me of the Malko recording, which may be the premiere of the work (or else a Danish radio performance near to it, broadcast a few years back over Swedish radio), of Holmboe's 7th symphony- much better in my opinion than Hughes (who to be fair was I think just finding his sea legs at that point in his Holmboe cycle...) The opening attack under Malko is- well, foregoing analogy, it's a whole lot sharper...
re Bentzon- I should have added re syms 2 and 6 also that they are not known to Michael Herman - see http://www.musicweb-international.com/Scandinavian_symphonies/Scandinavian_Symphonies.htm article, July 2011 - to have been recorded. 3, 4, 5 and 7 apparently were once from LPs, which I should have remembered (haven't heard them, anycase, though I have had a look at the score of no.7 which reminded me vaguely at the opening - not as much as Melartin 6 does! - of Mahler 7.)

shamokin88

A propos Bentzon my notes give the composer as the soloist in the 2nd Symphony performance. I can download symphonies nos.9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16 and 18 plus many other pieces.

Dundonnell

Quote from: shamokin88 on Saturday 15 October 2011, 22:26
A propos Bentzon my notes give the composer as the soloist in the 2nd Symphony performance. I can download symphonies nos.9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16 and 18 plus many other pieces.

You can........ ;D ;D :) :)

eschiss1

eschiss1

I'm reminded that there are 1980s BBC Singers recordings of Vagn Holmboe's Liber Canticorum listed both by Cadensa and in Rapoport's "The Compositions of Vagn Holmboe"- the whole set has been recorded commercially but am wondering (I don't ''think'' these Poole-conducted recordings are otherwise available) if anyone has them? :)
(Sometimes deprecated as a cold composer I find quite a few works of his that seem to me to counter such a judgment... his 9th and 15th string quartets probably high among them. I also notice a October 7 1984 broadcast of Richard Hickox conducting his first chamber symphony :) (1951, opus 53/M.171, published by Viking in Copenhagen in 1958.) Also a 1986 recording of Bryden Thomson conducting symphonies by Sallinen (no.4) and Holmboe (no.10); and a 1980 broadcast of the (like the opus 53 symphony?) as yet commercially unavailable? quintet for contralto and strings "Zeit" (op.94/M.233; with Sybil Michelow, singer).)

eschiss1

the movement names of the Bentzon 8th can be found from http://allmusic.com/work/symphony-no-8-op-113-sinfonia-discrezione-c581137/parts-movements here (edit: there is a Furst recording listed at Worldcat but that's not this, which is Bostock on Classico. The Fürst recording at Worldcat seems to be a radio-only transcription noncommercial thing, the only library mentioned as holding it is U Texas Austin (a big library, has lots of recordings and scores, btw)... - 2003 may well be the date of the Fürst broadcast, at a guess. Obviously I cannot think.

Re Holmboe, several of his quartets got nice noncommercial recordings too- I heard once quartet 14 played by, I think, the Nielsen Quartet before the DaCapo series came out. (I don't own that tape broadcast recording though I do see it listed at Cadensa.) The LP of quartet 9 played by the Copenhagen quartet may be better than the Kontra Quartet reading that's on CD (or as good, anyway- anycase, terrific piece...)

eschiss1

The Glass sym. 5 was recorded by Downes April 6 1990. The full score is here.

Dundonnell

Atsushi,

Thanks very much for the upload of the Tarp 2nd Symphony :) :)

I have wanted to hear more Tarp ever since acquiring the 7th Symphony on a Marco Polo/Dacapo-where it was coupled with the Piano Concerto and the Te Deum- many years ago now. The 2nd Symphony was on an old LP but this is obviously a different performance. I see that Tarp wrote ten symphonies ;D

lechner1110

It's my pleasure,  Dundonnell.  I also enjoyed this symphony. 
  His ten symphonies are very interesting 8)

eschiss1

Hrm. I'm guessing the 2nd symphony is the Symfoni in Es op50 published by Edition Dania in 1949 (is it clear it was also written in 1949?)