Started by britishcomposer, Saturday 15 October 2011, 12:09

Previous topic - Next topic

britishcomposer

Some time ago Keith Bramich wrote to the British Music List:

'Does anyone have any biographical information about composer Ronald
Settle? So far I have what's below.

In particular I'm interested to know the dates and places of his birth
and death, and also to verify whether or not the Australian composer of
'Shadows' and the MD at the Liverpool Playhouse were the same person.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give ... I'll update the page
below with any changes.'

He then gives the following link:

http://www.mvdaily.com/articles/s/r/ronald-settle.htm

Can you help him?
I will pass any additional information on to Keith.

albion

Yes, they appear to be one and the same. He wrote incidental music for at least two productions at the Liverpool Playhouse Theatre during the 1944-45 season: Shakespeare's Hamlet and Ben Jonson's The Alchemist.

:)

albion

And here are some details for for I Remember, I Remember - Liverpool Repertory Company: Rita Tushingham, Michael Malnick, Dulcie Bowman, Sylvia Childs, Philip Chadwick, Delia Corrie, Lisa White, Rita Tushingham, Harvey Ashby, Trevor Danby, Brenda Kaye, Trevor Baxter, Caroline Blakiston, Benjamin Whitrow, Petra Siniavski, Frederick Farley, Robert Benson, Wendy Rogerson, Margaret Hale, Collette Hart, Tom Clugston, Arthur Crone, written by Willard Stoker, directed by Willard Stoker. First performed at the Liverpool Playhouse Theatre, 14th June 1960.

Gareth Vaughan

The Liverpool Playhouse Theatre may have something in their archive - or may be able to direct you to an institution that has. There do not appear to be any MSS of his in the National Library of Australia and only a few pieces of his were published (among them, of course, "Shadows"), as a visit to the UK COPAC will show.

albion

Here is his book -

- published in 1957.

britishcomposer

Thank you, Gareth and John for you contributions!
I have passed all information on to Keith, who expresses his gratitude.

njhughes

Hi, I am Ronald Settle's Grandson.

He was not an Austrailian, he was born and resided in Merseyside Great Britain.

He was the Composer of Shadows, and Played at the playhouse for many years until cost saving measures dictated that two pianists were too expensive and that recorded music would be played instead.

He had two children, and eight Grandchildren, and currently fifteen Great Grandchildren.

Thanks

Phil

Hello NJHughes. I had piano lessons with Ronald Settle for a number of years at the Bluecoat Chambers. I subsequently sent some of my own students to him to experience his wonderful technique and methodology... not to mention his character. I miss him very much and wish I could just pick up the phone and have a chat with him, like I used to. I have, unfortunately, lost touch with Margaret over the years and Woodland View appears to have 'changed use', sadly. I used to hear Margaret singing, with Ronald's piano accompaniment, as I waited for my lesson in the ante room. Happily, I can report that his lovely Bechstein - which I enjoyed playing immensely and eventually performed on for my ALCM practical exam - has a wonderful home with one of my former students, who was lucky enough to benefit from 'Mr Settle's' (as I knew him) musical insight.

Let me assure anybody who reads this post (if they feel that this sounds a little sycophantic) that Ronald Settle is truly deserving of the respect that he receives - here, or elsewhere - and is sorely missed amongst the people that knew him.

Alan Howe

Perhaps someone could tell us more about his compositions...?

rambam

I was a piano pupil of Ronald Settle.I know something of his compositions,and a little about his life.If anyone wishes to contact me I will tell them all that I know about him.

Harvey Winter
(harveywinter@btinternet.com)