Heinrich Hofmann

Started by jerfilm, Saturday 15 October 2011, 14:24

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

Thanks for these pleasant downloads.  I especially like the Piano Quartet......but then it's one of my favorite genres.....

Jerry

Lionel Harrsion

Thanks Mark for these - I am thoroughly enjoying listening to these charming works!  Just a couple of problems (one major, one minor): the major one is that some other piece breaks in to the middle of the slow movement of the Octet (I'm sure I know what it is but I can't put a name to it!); the minor one is that the separate link you provided to the Serenade actually goes to the Piano Quartet and so you have to go through the main folder to reach it.  Lovely stuff, though!

Mark Thomas

Lionel, my apologies for the MediaFire link to the Serenade. I've corrected the post. As to the extraneous music in the Octet's slow movement, I had quite forgotten that it was there and so didn't note it in my post (something I've also rectified). I didn't rip the LP myself and so can do nothing about it, but I don't find it too intrusive and the two brief episodes are at least just that: brief.

As I say, if anyone has any more Hofmann, apart from the piano works which are commercially available form John Kersey's Romantic Discoveries series, then I'd appreciate an upload. It's not demanding stuff, but I do like it.

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Saturday 15 October 2011, 15:29
As to the extraneous music in the Octet's slow movement, I had quite forgotten that it was there ...
Thanks, Mark, I'm relieved.  I never touch a drop before the sun is over the yard-arm and I was therefore worried that today's auditory hallucinations seemed to have kicked in prematurely!  I definitely agree with Jerry  that the Piano Quartet is a cracking piece. I'm going to dive into the Serenade now.

Alan Howe

This is a gap well and truly plugged, Mark. After a myriad truly minor composers mentioned in recent days on the forum, it's good to remind ourselves of a composer who once was a household name and now languishes - quite unjustly - in obscurity. The symphony in particular is a lovely piece - not deep, but hugely entertaining and well worth rescuing for recording purposes. (It is indeed very Raffian - compare, for example, the first movement with that of Lenore...)

Mark Thomas

Alan wrote:
Quotecompare, for example, the first movement with that of Lenore
Absolutely! I understand that a label well known in these parts has recorded the Frithjof Symphony and the Hungarian Suite, but nothing has appeared yet. We live in hope...