"Big tunes" in symphonic finales.

Started by John H White, Thursday 30 April 2009, 21:42

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 12 May 2009, 16:28
The Omsk band is just plain duff and the recording glassy and mushy all at the same time. It's probably the worst modern commercial release I have ever heard, although I can think of some others that would run it close.

As Ilja pointed out, the problem is that, as far as other labels are concerned, the Bendix symphonies have been done. Trouble is, they've actually been mangled and no-one else is likely to put any money into re-doing them properly.

So, the lesson is this: if you're going to record something unusual, it'd better be good!! There's unlikely to be a second chance...
There will be a second chance if a post like this can find its way into the hands of Bo Hyttner or Klaus Heymann, or someone else of their ilk.

Alan Howe

No, Jim: it's 'fat chance', not second chance, I'm afraid.

FBerwald

How about the Symphonies of Wilhelm Peterson-Berger. I just heard his Symphony no. 5  'Solitudo'. A very catch Opening. On the whole a very delightful experience. Haven't heard his other works tough. Any word on his other symphonies

Ilja

Great, underappreciated works in my view. A bit unorthodox in build-up, maybe. In my view, the 5th and 3rd are the best ones. I quite like the 4th in a flippant sort of way.

Syrelius

My favourites among the Peterson Berger symphonies are nos 2,3 and 5.

Peter1953

Alan, after being so overwhelmed by Draeseke's piano sonata (a real gem!) it's time for me to try and buy his Symphonia Tragica. Which performance or label do you recommend?

Alan Howe

The performance of Draeseke 3 on cpo is better played than the one on MDG - so it's Weigle on cpo for me. That said, the performances themselves are pretty similar.

Peter1953

Here is a symphony which is getting under my skin. It's my latest acquisition: Draeseke' third, the Symphonia Tragica.
The opening andante is almost Beethoven-like, but already after two minutes the music develops into an allegro risoluto which reminds me of Raff. But not for long. This symphony is full of captivating tunes and interesting developments. A beautiful slow movement and lively scherzo, but the magical movement is the fourth. The peaceful opening doesn't give you the feeling that something is going to happen. However, towards the end the symphony is accelerating to a climax which ends unexpectedly very serene. Wow, what a coda.

This Draeseke has really surprised me in a very positive sense. Highly original, perhaps influenced by certain contemporaries, but it stands on its own. It makes me eager to hear the other 3 symphonies, but I understand that the Symphonia Tragica is Draeseke's magnum opus. Alan, will I be disappointed if I buy the other symphonies? Please advice.

edurban

I'll second Stenhammer 2nd.
Stanford 3 (makes you proud to be Irish)
John K Paine 2 (a big chorale with New England hymn tune written all over it!)

Alan Howe

Hi Peter,

I doubt whether you would be disappointed with Draeseke 1 or 2 - No.2 is certainly a masterpiece and No.1 has a just magnificent slow movement (best realised by Hanson on MDG). No.4, the Comica, is a one-off - very original, very personal, but quirky. I'd buy No.2 on cpo (you get the lovely Serenade too), Nos.1 & 4 on cpo - and, if you can afford it, No.1 on MDG (because you'll have the better performance of the slow movement).

Peter1953

Quote from: edurban on Saturday 25 July 2009, 02:06
Stanford 3 (makes you proud to be Irish)

I cannot say such a thing, Edurban, because I'm "utterly Dutch".  ;)
But unfortunately there is hardly any memorable symphonic work written by a Dutch romantic composer to be pround of (sorry, Ilja). Maybe the E minor symphony by Johannes Verhulst (1816-1891), but although the music is pleasant, it's hardly a novelty. Quite someone else is Daniël de Lange (1841-1918), who wrote two symphonies, of which only the first in C minor survived, released by Sterling (which is indeed a label of discovery). In another topic I might come back to Daniël de Lange, whose brother Samuel (1840-1911) was a more prolific composer.

Thanks for your good advice, Alan. I will certainly buy both cpo discs, but maybe in a later stage the mgd disc as well. This is because the 1st is coupled with the PC and I already have that concerto on Hyperion.

Alan Howe

John H White

Many thanks, Alan, for the tip. I already have the Rontgen No 3 and agree that its Splendid stuff. I may now be tempted to use my JPC voucher on the Van Gilse symphonies.
By the way, I see that Europadisc have a special offer on CPO records which ends on the last day of this month.

Peter1953

Thanks Alan, for your reminder. I was definitely to quick with my opinion. These are lovely works.