My Take on Some New CDS: Stojowski, Noskowski, Casella, and more

Started by mbhaub, Sunday 13 September 2009, 06:50

Previous topic - Next topic

mbhaub

A few days ago some new cds arrived from Records International. The composers and works have been mentioned on this site in different threads, but rather than track those down, I want to give my take here, if anyone's interested.

First, the Stojowski violin concerto on the Acte Prealable label with violinist Agnieszka Marucha. It's an inoffensive piece, well constructed, very lyrical, poetic and the second movement is especially romantic. What the entire work is missing is the pyrotechnics that I like in violin concertos. There's little dramatic tension and fire. The soloist seems fine, the youth orchestra support is excellent, but ultimately it's not hard to hear why this never made it into the repertoire. There's no meat.

Then there's the Noskowski First Symphony on Sterling. On first hearing I wasn't too impressed. By the third go around I was warming up to it. The music certainly moves, although the slow second movement is too long by half. The third movement (Vivace) is a knockout and really works up a sweat. Fun stuff. THe last movement moves along, although I felt the composer didn't know how (or when) to end it, and inspiration waned. Still, it's a nice enough symphony, clearly in the line of the Nationalistic genre so popular at the time. But nothing sticks in the ear. I've heard better, and it's absence from the repertoire is not surprising.  Maybe a 4th time will do it. The other works on the cd are negligible.

Casella Symphony no. 3 on CPO. Oh, I wanted so much to love this symphony after all the things I've read, especially from David Hurwitz on Classics Today. It's well wrought, finely orchestrated, well played and recorded. But it just doesn't grab me. I've listened to it four times now. I'm putting it away for a month and come back and see. It's not that I don't like it, it doesn't offend me in any way. But emotionally it's blank. Hurwitz compares it favorably to Shostakovich. Not at all! Shostakovich, vulgar, crude, and trite as he can be, still grabs you by the throat and drags you through an emotional roller coaster. Not Casella. The booklet makes the claim that between Casella and Respighi, the former was the superior composer. Well, all I can say to that is "Pines of Rome". 'nuff said. The other work, Italia, is much more interesting, although a bit long. One funny thing: when I took the cd out of the shipping box, I was dismayed at what I had bought: on the back of the jewel case, they list Casella's dates as being 1772 - 1847, an time period that has very little interest to me musically. I was glad to see inside the booklet the correct dates. Why do goofs like this happen?

Then out came the CPO recording of orchestral music by Josef Holbrooke, a composer I have previously known only through the piano concert. Well, here's an interesting and worthy composer! The first work, allegedly based on a Poe story, Amontillado was disappointing. Nowhere is there any sense of horror or impending doom. It's a nice bit of writing, but lousy program music. The Viking is very atmospheric and I liked it a lot more. The Three Blind Mice variations is cute and fun, too, although I think the composer should have stopped around 12:00. It goes on too long and brings in other tunes and I don't get why they're there. But the real winner is Ulalume. Lots of atmosphere, drama, tension. Wonderful work. How did I miss this composer for so long? There's a Marco Polo disk that I need to get. And Gareth Vaughan's name appears in the booklet several times for his contribution to the project! So Gareth, are more volumes coming?

I hope I'm not outstaying my welcome, but I've saved the best for last: a new disk of music by Richard Arnell on Dutton. Punch and the Child is marvelous! Witty , tuneful, incredibly well orchestrated, but I've become to expect that from Arnell. His wind writing is especially delightful. The Harlequin is also wonderful as is the Concerto Capriccioso. This disk is another reason why I'm glad to be living in the era that I am and cds like this are available. Hearing Arnell's music may not matter to the vast majority of people, or even music lovers, but I for one am forever grateful that I have the privilege of hearing it.

Alan Howe

I agree - sadly - about the Stokjowski VC, although I'm not sure how much my disappointment has to do with the feeble orchestral support (the soloist is fine). It may simply be the piece.

The Noskowski, though, is a very fine work indeed: certainly up to the standard of early Dvorak or Tchaikovsky. For me it's utterly incomprehensible how this symphony, with its extraordinarily beautiful slow movement, has never been widely performed. I can hear the opening in my mind's ear now...

Syrelius

Quote from: mbhaub on Sunday 13 September 2009, 06:50
Casella Symphony no. 3 on CPO. Oh, I wanted so much to love this symphony after all the things I've read, especially from David Hurwitz on Classics Today. It's well wrought, finely orchestrated, well played and recorded. But it just doesn't grab me. I've listened to it four times now. I'm putting it away for a month and come back and see. It's not that I don't like it, it doesn't offend me in any way. But emotionally it's blank. Hurwitz compares it favorably to Shostakovich. Not at all! Shostakovich, vulgar, crude, and trite as he can be, still grabs you by the throat and drags you through an emotional roller coaster. Not Casella.

But the 1st and 2nd movements are rather nice, don't you think?

Pengelli

I enjoyed everything on the Holbrooke cd. It's all fantastic stuff,but I agree that 'Amontillado' is curiously jaunty. The Viking is a cracker!!! More please!

Mark Thomas

It's only a matter of opinion, of course, but I must say that I rate the Noskowski First Symphony much higher than you do Martin. It's a really strong piece which, although long, never outstays its welcome.

Pengelli

Conversely,'Ulalume' was my least favourite. I love the dark quality of JH's music.
The bells...the bells.....

Pengelli

On the other hand,the 'Blind Mice Variations',however fun,is too garrulous &
eccentric to ever rival the sophistication of Dohnanyi's more famous opus.

Pengelli

As I am very interested in neglected Italian composers like Pizzetti,whom I rate
very highly indeed,I think I'll probably get round to buying the Casella, anyway.