News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Rare Works?

Started by semloh, Friday 21 October 2011, 21:56

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

I see that someone is suggesting that rare works by "sung"composers could be made available - and then presumably discussed - in the forum.

Administrators ;) ;) - is this appropriate? 
You no doubt can see the dangers  :-\ :-\
.....but also that it might be valued :)

If it is acceptable, maybe it's something that justifies a separate category on the Homepage?

Mark Thomas

On the whole I feel the we should retain our USP of being the place to celebrate unsung composers. That said, I don't mind, and wouldn't debar, the odd digression into the unsung works of better known composers and we have seen that in the past. However, I certainly wouldn't promote it by setting up a separate Board.

semloh

Good call, I think, Mark.  ;)

The rarities by well-known composers are never-ending and we could end up, as you suggest, losing the focus.
:)

TerraEpon

I don't see why one should make a big deal of it. Just look at what was posted today -- Dohnanyi, Wieniawski, Karlowitz, Korngold for God sakes (and from his most famous film score at that) Lots of the stuff in the British Broadcasts had sung composers (included a Holst piece that was 'requested), and even Bruch and Liszt have been posted. I figure the spirit of the board is much more in tune with a rare Tchaikovsky work than some late 20th century composer's atonal wash....after all, while the site is called "Unsung Composers" it was originally part of the Raff message board and decidated to Unsung ROMANTIC ones.
And, incidently, I only even knew about that YouTube channel because it was linked to from this very board.

semloh

Quote from: TerraEpon on Saturday 22 October 2011, 20:23
I don't see why one should make a big deal of it. Just look at what was posted today -- Dohnanyi, Wieniawski, Karlowitz, Korngold for God sakes ......

I agree - not a "big deal", just something I needed clarifiying - and, yes, we do seem to get into mainstream territory from time to time.  :)  But, as they say, "worse things happen at sea!"  ;D