Lithuanian music

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 25 October 2011, 02:58

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

small point about an item in this folder- Saulius Sondeckis is often associated not with the Lithuanian Philhamonic but with their Chamber Orchestra, and so it is, according to Worldcat, with the 1969ish-LP of works by Naujalis/Nauyalis and Daunoras, in which Sondeckis' recordings of the Naujalis "Daydream" is with the chamber orchestra he is usually associated with, sometimes referred to as "Lietuvos TSR kamerinis orkestras" in some Worldcat references - or "Lithuanian State Philharmonic Chamber Orchestra".) (As I said, minor point- chambered one, even. Still, can, I expect, find more interesting content for this thread soon.)
Eric

Latvian

You're certainly correct about Sondeckis' association with the chamber orchestra. However, my performer attribution was taken directly from the jacket of the LP, which I owned at the time I originally digitized it, and what I printed is what the jacket said.

I'm sure we're all aware that Melodiya releases (and re-releases) can be maddeningly inconsistent, with spellings of transliterations, orchestra names, omission of performers' complete first names, etc.

One of their worst features (and a pet peeve of mine), is their practice of transliterating non-Russian names into Russian, and then phonetically transliterating the name yet again into English, as if the original, though in Latin characters, was incorrect or inappropriate. Infuriating! Thus, with Latvians, for example, Mediņš became Medyn, Kalniņš became Kalnin (or Kalnyn), etc. In the example you cite, Naujalis becomes Nauyalis. One of the craziest examples of this is a Melodiya release of music by Anatolijus Šenderovas. I have two copies of this release -- one says "Anatolijus Šenderovas" while the other (with completely different artwork) says "Anatoly Shenderov."

eschiss1

my mistake, apologies.
(Ah, the Soviet Ellis Island - transliterate as needed. For those for whom Ellis Island brings up no resonance whatsoever or only the most positive sort, will try to explain - at some point.)