News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

George Lloyd?

Started by monafam, Thursday 17 September 2009, 13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

monafam

Does someone like George Lloyd fit this site?  Although somewhat contemporary, I believe he wrote his music in a more "Romantic" type style.   Or is he just not "unsung"?  I hadn't heard of him, but that's pretty much par for the course with me it seems!

Alan Howe

He definitely fits, I would say. He's been quite extensively recorded, but is very rarely performed in public. His music is certainly approachable - although for me there's a lot of 'water' in the mix...

What do others think of Lloyd?

Pengelli

I used to enjoy the 7th when I was young. The finale was very ott and very loud
with what seemed like moments from Star Wars thrown in for good measure!

Pengelli

The renewal of interest in George Lloyd,whatever you think of his music,certainly
provoked some interesting debate at the time, ie tonal v avant guarde/atonal.

monafam

I have definitely liked what I have heard thusfar. 

When you say "a lot of 'water' in the mix..." what do you mean?  Is it lacking in some depth from your standpoint?

Thanks!

John H White

I quite like John Loyd's music, but would't go out of my way to hear it. Albany Troy Records have produced quite a number of CDs of his symphonies etc together with those of his American contemporary, Don Gillis, which also make for enjoyable listening.

TerraEpon

I don't like his music at all. A few years back there was a bunch of CDs released on Albany and they all kept getting good reviews...but I never could get into it.

(also, he was British, not American like the post above me says. Also, Gillis I love)

Pengelli

Don Gillis. Now you're talking!!!! I have all his symphonies on cd. Yet no one ever
mentions him & Gramophone didn't review any of the Albany cd's.

Gareth Vaughan

I'm afraid I find his music a bit anaemic. Easy on the ear, but ever so slightly boring. "A lot of water in the mix" just about sums it up - at least for me.

monafam

I can vouch for the Don Gillis pick! 

Mark Thomas

I went through a George Lloyd phase a couple of years back but, like Alan and Gareth, now feel that he is way too fond of the sound of his own voice. There's little in any of his 40-50 minute symphonies which couldn't be said in 20 minutes or fewer by a more self-critical composer. Comparison of his work with that of Thomas Schmidt-Kowalski, for example, makes the point. Lloyd is certainly a pleasant, and sometimes, stirring listen; nothing to frighten the horses in his idiom.

Don Gillis is a very different kettle of fish. If I want a dose of brash, in your face, polished chrome and cheerleader Americana, then I'll turn to Gillis. Great fun, when you're in the mood.

Pengelli

Some of the Don Gillis symphonies show some unexpected depths. Symphonies 6
& 5,in particular.Quite impressive in their own way.

Pengelli

Thanks to this thread I've just spent twelve odd quid on his Seventh symphony;
the only one I didn't have,apart from Symphony No x!

monafam

Quote from: Pengelli on Friday 18 September 2009, 12:51
Thanks to this thread I've just spent twelve odd quid on his Seventh symphony;
the only one I didn't have,apart from Symphony No x!

I think I have this forum to thank for introducing me to Gillis and so many more!  It's amazing how small of a "composer universe" I had not that long ago.  So much music...so little time....

TerraEpon

Quote from: monafam on Friday 18 September 2009, 16:55So much music...so little time....

Indeed. Sometimes I refrain from listening to something in fear that I may like it enough to want to hear more and be forced to spend more money and space!