News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Alexander Mackenzie

Started by Florian, Tuesday 01 November 2011, 19:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Florian

For the work on my PhD thesis I am desperately looking for a vocal score of Alexander Mackenzie's cantata 'The Bride' (Novello, Ewer & Co., about 46 pages).
I couldn't find a copy neither at amazon marketplaces nor in second-hand bookshops, and even the British Library wasn't able to provide me with a copy.  :(
Has anyone a vocal score and is able to send me a copy or a scan?

Thanks a lot!

eschiss1

you absolutely need the vocal score? LoC has the full score though they probably won't loan it out. here (141 pages). The preceding entry here is the orchestral parts. Will keep looking for the vs though...

eschiss1

Libraries in the UK that I think have a vocal score, according to Worldcat.org (searching on Mackenzie Bride and then making more specific by author , are the Edinburgh University Library (first edition vocal score, shelfmark M 78 MACK-26), the University of Glasgow (reference only, shelfmark Sp Coll Cb2-d.22)- hrm. Actually, trying to remember whereabouts you are- that search does turn up 4 libraries (Newberry Library, Chicago; the two above; also Concordia Lib. in Quebec; ) with the vocal score, and possibly others too.

There is also a scanned-in version here that the catalog record here claims is "full view" so you should be able to see it - I can't, for some reason. (And in fact that's the -full- score, again - 141 pages.) Am putting it in the IMSLP wishlist to be scanned in though, maybe someone else won't have that problem -then you should just be able to print it out and Bob's your uncle if, again, having the full instead of vocal score isn't the problem- I don't know. If you need the vocal score, I know only three libraries offhand that have it and don't think any of them are easy to contact about lending.

albion

Quote from: Florian on Tuesday 01 November 2011, 19:57Has anyone a vocal score and is able to send me a copy or a scan?

I've got two copies of the vocal score, but unfortunately both are bound into heavy multi-work volumes and would not be practicable to send.

::)

I can't believe that your University Library won't or can't obtain a copy of the vocal score (original, photocopy or even a microfilm) on inter-library loan for you.

>:(

In the past I've found the Royal Academy of Music Library very helpful and willing to make copies for me: they have the printed vocal score, the published full score as well as the autograph.

:o

albion

Florian

I've made a photocopy of the vocal score for you (reduced to 80% landscape A4). If you still need it PM me your address.

:)

albion

Gareth Vaughan

If you go to www.copac.ac.uk, the Combined Online Public Access Catalogue for the UK (which should be your first port of call in any research) you will see that numerous libraries have a copy of the Vocal Score which suggests it should be extremely easy to obtain through inter-library loan.
There are 18 entries altogether for this work, at least 8 of which are for the vocal score.  The copies held in Leeds and Birmingham are almost certainly available to borrow through inter-library loan.

albion

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Sunday 06 November 2011, 23:43it should be extremely easy to obtain through inter-library loan.

Florian is studying in Hamburg and has experienced problems obtaining material from British libraries, with only the BL being prepared to provide a copy but alas inter-library operations at BLDSC are still fairly chaotic due to asbestos being found in some of their rooms at Boston Spa -

http://email.bl.uk/go.asp?/bBLI001/mUU61U1F/u01VRD1F/xBI1BU1F

::)

Dundonnell

Mackenzie was a pupil at my old school; the Royal High School of Edinburgh. He wrote the music for the school song which we sang repeatedly at prize givings and other ceremonial occasions-

(first verse only ;D):

SCHOLAE REGIAE EDINENSIS CARMEN

Vivas, Schola Edinensis,
Schola Regia venerabilis!
Sicut arx in colle sita,
Sicut sol e nubibus densis,
Splendes, splendeas in aeternum,
Alma Mater atque amabilis:

Refrain
Vivas Schola Regia,
Vivas Schola Regia,
Vivas, vivas, Schola Regia!
Schola Regia!

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteFlorian is studying in Hamburg and has experienced problems obtaining material from British libraries, with only the BL being prepared to provide a copy but alas inter-library operations at BLDSC are still fairly chaotic due to asbestos being found in some of their rooms at Boston Spa

That's a shame. I'm genuinely surprised British Libraries don't lend to Europe - especially since my little library in Yeovil has sometimes obtained a copy of a work for me via inter-library loan from university libraries in the US.  I'm also mildly surprised there is no vocal score in Berlin or Munich - though perhaps they wouldn't lend it if there were. I'm very glad you've been able to help Florian, John. We need to encourage the sort of research he is undertaking. If I had known of his difficulties earlier (and you had not happened to have a vocal score) I would have been happy to borrow one myself and photocopy it for him.

eschiss1

Looking at the Munich OPAC they have a good-sized collection of Mackenzie tohand (trying to sift out the composer from the explorer of the same name!) and they do list full and vocal scores of "The Bride" after all. The vocal score has "signatur" "4 Mus.pr. 56544"- 1881 Novello edition - and one can pay for a copy to be made, though now rather late in the day to be mentioning that.

albion

I have uploaded the following piano (solo) scores to IMSLP-

Burns, Op.24 (1880)
Britannia, Op.52 (1894)
Coriolanus, Op.61 (1901)
Coronation March, Op.63 (1902)
London Day by Day, Op.64 (1902)
Canadian Rhapsody, Op.67 (1904)
An English Joy-Peal, Op.75 (1911)

albion

Recently recorded and released by Cameo, La Belle Dame sans Merci, Op.29 (1883) is now available in full score on IMSLP -

http://imslp.org/wiki/La_belle_dame_sans_merci,_Op.29_(Mackenzie,_Alexander_Campbell)

cypressdome

The vocal score for The Troubadour, Op.33 has now been posted to IMSLP. That exhausts the Mackenzie scores that are currently available on Hathi Trust. I'll be moving on to their G.A. Macfarren scores next. As time permits please post whatever you have Albion as your scans are far superior to those on Hathi Trust!

Thanks,
Cypressdome

albion

As with Cowen, I have now completed a series of uploads to IMSLP (marked below in blue): with the exception of one or two occasional pieces, all of Mackenzie's extant major choral works are now available in vocal score -

The Bride, Op.25 (1881)
Jason, Op.26 (1882)
The Rose of Sharon, Op.30 (1884)
The Story of Sayid, Op.34 (1886)
A Jubilee Ode, Op.36 (1887)
The Cotter's Saturday Night, Op.39 (1889)
The Dream of Jubal, Op.41 (1889)
Veni Creator Spiritus, Op.46 (1891)
Bethlehem, Op.49 (1892)
The Witch's Daughter, Op.66 (1904)

The Sun-God's Return, Op.69 (1908)