Metropolis/Daugherty

Started by sdtom, Saturday 19 September 2009, 21:49

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/09/18/metropolis-symphonydaugherty/

This new recording certainly got my attention.  His use of percussion was outstanding and the 5th movement of the work called "Red Cape Tango" all centered around Dies irae was excellent.  You have to hear the castanets in Dies irae to believe it.  Worth exploring.
Thomas

Pengelli

Is it a plane...is it a bird......no it's a symphony!

Pengelli

Amphissa

There are two recordings of this, I believe. The one pictured and reviewed is by Guerrero/NashvilleSO. There is another recording by David Zinman with the Baltimore SO.  The latter is coupled with a related coposition for winds and percussion called Bizarro.

Pengelli

Apologies for the flippancy. I had a look at you're site earlier.Very interesting.
That's how to do a blog!

sdtom

I'm not sure if the Baltimore Symphony recording is still available.  Was it the premiere recording from Carnegie Hall?
Thomas

Pengelli

I notice that there is a dvd of a 'Jackie O' opera on the Qualiton site,by Michael Daugherty This sort of thing seems to be rather fashionable now.

sdtom

I just know so little about the composer that I shall make an effort to read a little more about him.
Thomas

monafam

Quote from: Amphissa on Sunday 20 September 2009, 17:09

There are two recordings of this, I believe. The one pictured and reviewed is by Guerrero/NashvilleSO. There is another recording by David Zinman with the Baltimore SO.  The latter is coupled with a related coposition for winds and percussion called Bizarro.

I actually have the latter you described.  I found them to be very entertaining pieces.