News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Frederic Cliffe

Started by BFerrell, Friday 18 November 2011, 23:02

Previous topic - Next topic

BFerrell

Has anyone heard Cliffe's 2nd Symphony? I've discussed this with Sterling (they released the 1st) and they seem wary. Is there a recording anywhere?

Mark Thomas

Until very recently Cliife's Second was in manuscript, but a score and parts have now been prepared by our own Lionel Harrison. I know that Sterling's Bo Hyttner did have plans to record this work (and wouldn't we all be glad if he did), but I don't know how far he has got with this. I imagine that what's needed is a friendly sponsor. As it happens, I shall be seeing him tonight as it's his 70th birthday party and, as well as passing on our congratulations, I'll try to tap him for news about the Cliffe. No promises, mind - there'll be a bit of a crush I imagine...

Alan Howe

The person in the know is 'our own' Chris Fifield. As far as I know no-one has actually proposed a recording project - a great pity as Chris' recording of the 1st Symphony for Sterling is one of the jewels of the unsung catalogue...

Lionel Harrsion

A copy of the score is in Chris Fifield's hands so...

Jimfin

All I know of Cliffe is his violin concerto from the recent Hyperion release, but it made me very happy, a beautiful work. And I could post on Facebook that I was listening to 'Cliffe' and see who spotted the 'e'

Alan Howe

...all we need is a recording proposal.

Mark Thomas

Bo confirmed last night that, as suspected, what is lacking is the money to help get the work recorded. His birthday party, BTW, was a wonderful affair for 80 or so, capped by him giving us a display of his tap dancing prowess! Who knew?

Alan Howe

...perhaps he should do a sponsored tap dance-a-thon: that'd raise the money!

Jimfin

I hadn't even realised the 1st Symphony was available: this site is doing wonders for my music collection (though not for my wallet)