Benedict and Macfarren from Hyperion

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 01 May 2009, 17:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Jim L is right: in July Hyperion are planning to release Julius Benedict's two piano concertos, coupled with the Concertstück by Macfarren. Details and excerpts here:
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67720

Mark Thomas

From the excerpts available on the Hyperion site, the two Benedict works seem to be rather attractive creations in the Mendelssohn tradition. They are earlyish works and from these brief samples don't seem to have the stodginess which his late Symphony exhibits, at least in the radio recording I have.

The Macfarren (Walter, I see, not his much more celebrated brother George), sounds from its introduction to be rather old-fashioned for 1880, but I guess that needn't worry us 130 years on.

It's good to see English music championed in this series.

Alan Howe

Thanks, Mark. I'd overlooked exactly which Macfarren it was on the new CD!

Peter1953

Listening to the excerpts of both Benedict's works, I wonder whether there aren't already thirteen in a dozen of these kind of piano concertos. But what can I say after listening to a few seconds of all movements, besides that they sound rather predictable.
In the meantime the CD is released. Does anybody have a solid opinion yet?

Alan Howe

I have the CD, but I haven't listened to it yet...
First impressions will follow ASAP.

febnyc

I own almost all of the RPC releases - but I have come, I think, to the saturation point.  Peter1953's post more or less sums up my feeling; most of these PCs are sounding the same.  A few stand out because of certain traits - a powerful opening; a limpid slow movement; particularly virtuosic passages - but, on the whole, the ship has run its course and perhaps it is time to leave some of these works languishing unheard.  I don't know - there's always the possibility of a real winner just around the next corner.  But buying these CDs for the sake of buying, or some sort of "completeness" (a collecting fetish to which I subscribe in many instances), somehow no longer appeals. 

Alan Howe

Ah, but it's the thought of an undiscovered jewel lying in some dusty corner that keeps us all going, isn't it?

Can't wait to hear the Rufinatscha PC...

Alan Howe

Well, this is one of Hyperion's subtler efforts. But then, why should everything be surface glitter and brilliance, as is so often the case? (Not that I don't like surface glitter and brilliance!) I suspect I shall be returning to this CD with thanks for some thoroughly well-made Romantic music which clearly belongs to the classical tradition. Lovely playing, by the way, from that great champion of unsung music, Howard Shelley, and his truly excellent Tasmanian orchestra.

As far as I am concerned Hyperion can keep going with their RPC series for as long as they feel able. If only they could put as much effort into their RVC series...