News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Sgambati - again!

Started by rosflute, Monday 28 November 2011, 01:40

Previous topic - Next topic

rosflute

If anyone is interested to hear some of Sgambati's 2nd symphony, I've put the 2nd movement on YOuTube
http://youtu.be/leGPTikJRBo.
It's part of the new edition that I'm publishing with corrections, better layout and better recording (technology just goes on getting better!)

Also, the 1st symphony is being performed in Rome next weekend.

Alan Howe

Quote from: rosflute on Monday 28 November 2011, 01:40
Also, the 1st symphony is being performed in Rome next weekend.

Interesting. Do you know who's performing it?

alberto

The Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma conducted by Francesco La Vecchia. I suppose (and hope) that a Naxos recording will follow.

Alan Howe

Now that is interesting - thanks, alberto!

eschiss1

and belated thanks for preparing a new edition- I don't even know when the 2nd symphony was published, come to think of it, or what shape existing sources (for editors and orchestras) are in, but it sounds like a good idea to me...

rosflute

QuoteI don't even know when the 2nd symphony was published, come to think of it, or what shape existing sources
[/shadow]
The symphony was not published until 2006 and the original score is missing from the archives, presumed lost. In 2005 I settled in Rome for a few weeks and painstakingly reconstructed a score from the original handwritten orchestral parts.  This was to become the first book ever to be published by what was then called Virtually Unknown and is now a much bigger business called Trübcher publishing.
During the intervening years everything including technology has improved. The new edition reflects these changes. It is based on the old edition but with better layout, new covers, corrections and improved virtual recordings.
If you would like to hear more of it, the other three movements will be appearing on YouTube shortly - or better still encourage your conductor friends to perform it and record it !http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif

Mark Thomas

Quotethe 2nd movement on YOuTube
What an attractive piece. A full orchestral recording would be a real plus.

jerfilm

Very nice.  I'm looking forward to the other three movements.  Hopefully someone in Italy will play and record it.

Jerry