News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

applause

Started by Christopher, Wednesday 30 November 2011, 21:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

I don't really know where to put this, but Technical Questions & Answers seems kind of logical.

How do people feel on the issue of leaving the applause IN at the end of the recording of a concert performance?

Personally I am in favour - if not all of it then at least 10 to 15 seconds before fading out.  I've got several recordings (including the Bortkiewicz violin or cello concerto, can't remember which, which were kindly uploaded here) where the final notes are played, the applause starts, and then no more than 2 seconds later - CUT!  Silence!  It makes the end seem very abrupt, especially when there is still a hint of reverberation of the magical final notes.  Moreover, if it has been a particularly good performance, enthusiastic applause and acclaim almost become an integral part of the recording.

Similarly, when recording from an LP, I would encourage leaving the record button on for just a few seconds longer after the LP has finished, otherwise once again you get that abrupt cut sensation.  I've got recordings of Tigranian's (or Dikranian's, depending how you transliterate from Armenian) operas David Beg and Anoush, and the last notes of each coincide with the final second of CD play - it's the aural equivalent of having a bucket of cold water thrown over you!

Would be interested in other opinions...

Jimfin

I personally find applause irritating on recordings, though I take your very valid point about abrupt cutoffs. I know many people on this site loathe applause on recordings far more, even to the extent of refusing to buy CDs with it on. That I can't understand: after all, one can press 'stop' whenever one wishes, as I always do when watching opera DVDs (which, if they are live performances, always have applause on). I do find it fascinating that it should be an issue which arouses such strong emotions.

Mark Thomas

For the recordings of live broadcasts which I make, I prefer to remove the applause but only if, as Christopher so rightly recommends, there's enough silence after the piece ends for the sound to naturally fade to nothing. If the applause crashes that natural fade then I'll include 20-30 seconds of applause and fade that out over half its length or so. There really is nothing worse than an abrupt and unnatural sound cut-off or, just as bad, the artificial fade of the final chord to make sure that the first enthusiastic hand clap is not heard.