News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Raff box from Tudor

Started by Mark Thomas, Saturday 10 October 2009, 16:49

Previous topic - Next topic

mbhaub

I've listened to the entire Tudor boxed set twice now. I've never sat down and listened to all of the symphonies in order. What a joy it was! I've been a Raff fan for nearly 40 years (thank you Bernard Herrmann), but hearing the 11 symphonies in sequence, and in generally fine performances really reveals Raff's talent and, dare I say it?, genius. His melodic give in endearing and never flags. And his orchestrations are beautiful, especially the wind writing. Having listened this way has really reawakened a interest in Raff. The box was actually pretty cheap over here from Records International, cheap by Tudor standards to be sure.
My only complaint is the recording of #5, Lenore. The tempos are just too fast. It seems rushed and not well thought out. And the balances are bad: at the end of the closing group in the first movement exposition there's that wonderful series of chords in the trombones that I just love! But in the Tudor recording you can barely hear them. Other than that, no complaints from me.

Pengelli

Interesting. The Tudor performance of the 'Lenore' is the only one I've ever heard & the first time I had ever heard any music by Raff, at all. I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, I liked it so much I bought the Tudor recording of the third. Is it really THAT bad?

Alan Howe

No, it's OK. But D'Avalos on ASV just has everything: recording, orchestra, more imagination - but that's a personal opinion.

TerraEpon

The Lenore in the Raff box is much better than the one on...Dynamic is it? at least.

Alan Howe

Yes, it's an excellent performance, but then there's Herrmann's seminal recording....

mbhaub

See how funny opinions are? I love the Dynamic recording and the DAvalos, too. Needless to say Herrmann is still my favorite. The Tudor isn't awful, no, but not what it could have been. The worst (sound, performance and all) has to be Bamert on Koch.

Alan Howe

And the Marco Polos all turn out to be better than one thought or remembered...

Pengelli

I sometimes find it's the first one you ever heard,unless it's particularly awful,of course.
The Herrmann does seem to have a special status amongst collectors, though.

Alan Howe

I have only just invested in the entire MP set - and actually find the cycle to be generally well up to the standards of the Tudor set. I prefer the sound of the Slovak orchestra in nos. 2-11 and some of Schneider's tempi too, so I don't think the arguments are all in favour of Stadlmair.

Hofrat

Does anyone know which 4 overtures of Raff are on the 9-CD set offered by Tudor?

TerraEpon

All the CDs are exact reissues of the previous. The overtures are coupled with Symphony #4, and are Benedetto Marcello Overture, Dame Kobold Overture, Die Parole Overture, and Concert Overture in F Op. 123.

Hofrat

:( As I thought.  None of the Shakespeare overtures are in the set.

TerraEpon

Quote from: Hofrat on Friday 14 May 2010, 08:15
:( As I thought.  None of the Shakespeare overtures are in the set.

Nope...in fact I asked that above. Well worth buying the separate CD IMO (which I bought before the box, actually)

Pengelli

On the basis of some comments here I have just bought the Naxos cd's of No 1 and 3& 10,although I haven't received the latter yet,(fair play,the seller hasn't had much time to post it yet!). I also bought the Hyperion cd of 3 & 4. This will be the first time I have heard these works,bar No3,because I have the Tudor cd. I am thoroughly enjoying the 1st,which, according to a review on Musicweb,is every bit,or just about as good as the  Tudor performance. What a wonderful symphony! I note,however,that it has a different conductor to some other Marco Polo cd's of Raff symphonies. Is this good news or bad news,I wonder?
   Regarding  the Hyperion cd,which I haven't got to yet. What are the views of Raff enthusiasts here. I'm afraid one of the reasons I bought it was price! I have read somewhere that the strings aren't quite up to the piece,but that it is otherwise,okay? Or is the only good thing about the performance the cover painting,by,I think,Dore,which is rather nice?!!!

Alan Howe

The MK orchestra just isn't up to the music, in my view. For no.4, either the MP or Tudor disc is preferable.