News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Elfrida Andrée

Started by Josh, Wednesday 14 October 2009, 15:03

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

The original post referred to Videos and someone asked about that and did not get an answer, I believe.  They are on YouTube.  There also is a complete performance of Andree's Organ Symphony #2 in Eb that you can also find if you do a little searching.  And her Piano Quintet.

Jerry

jerfilm

Correction:  It's her Piano Trio #2.  Sorry about that.

semloh

I thought it was worth returning to this old thread, to thank Richard for the Organ Symphony No.2, since it includes some interesting information and opinions about the composer. Jerry mentioned that the Organ Sym. was available on YouTube, along with the Piano Trio No.2, and they are still there along with several other of her works.

Just one question, Richard. Is the date of the performance November 2nd or 11th of February? Dates are so confusing on the web. Thanks.

Gauk

I tried to download the organ symphony but the file seems to be corrupt. It claims to be .m4a, but doesn't play. Anyone else have problems?

cjvinthechair

Quote from: Gauk on Monday 01 April 2013, 08:53
I tried to download the organ symphony but the file seems to be corrupt. It claims to be .m4a, but doesn't play. Anyone else have problems?
Sadly, yes !

mjkFendrich

My copy plays quite well - I'm using Foobar2000 with several codec plugins.
The format contained within the m4a-file seems to be an 24bit/96kHz ALAC !

semloh

MP4s don't play on some players (e.g. Winamp) without add-ons. I always convert them to top rate MP3 - which I did with this, and it sounds fine. SwitchSound is one of many free converters which you can use.

My problem with MP4 is that the files are so massive - this took up a huge chunk of download but ran out at a mere 17MB in MP3. Regardless of the supposed benenfits of MP4, for casual downloading it's a pain.

The symphony is a rather strange work, I would be interested to know what more musically expert forum members think of it....  :-\

JimL

You would.  OK.  I'll download it first chance I get and give it a listen.

Gauk

Quote from: semloh on Monday 01 April 2013, 23:14

MP4s don't play on some players (e.g. Winamp) without add-ons. I always convert them to top rate MP3 - which I did with this, and it sounds fine. SwitchSound is one of many free converters which you can use.

Oddly, Audacity doesn't like it. It loads the file, but it comes over as just a series of clicks.

semloh

How about I re-up in MP3 format?
Any problems with that, Richard?

Petteri Nieminen

Having joined this excellent forum I'm browsing and found this old thread about Andrée. Having edited her two symphonies a couple of years ago, the first is now available by the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra (the record won the Swedish Grammy for best classical) along with orchestra suites by Valborg Aulin (1860-1928; a lively and robust work while not technically as well constructed as Andrée) and Ida Moberg (1859-1947; I edited these suites two and do like the Moberg very much, in fact, the first movement was performed at the Nobel Prize Ceremony 2022).

Andrée's 1st is a relatively youthful work in C major, the 2nd-3rd movement perhaps a bit too extended but otherwise very well constructed. The second theme group of the 1st movement is in the unexpected E minor and the movement culminates in a very ambitious (but well written) counterpoint passage with the principal theme group and the main countermelody interposed. She hated this symphony mostly because of the disastrous first performance in the late 1870's. It was presumably played without rehearsals and the 1st violins were a measure off in the finale (and at that point she left the concert). She dismissed it as "youthful experimentation". The slow movement was later recycled into her "Fritiof Suite" based on her opera. Andrée was an excellent composer of engaging melodies, as can be observed in the second theme of the 1st movement. The whole record can be heard here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohNEQsyE1wY&list=OLAK5uy_nuS5_Y-zZpC_WQmLnBO01zuhvY-hj-6k8

As for her second, I conducted it also myself after editing it and here's she more mature but retains and develops her melodic skills. She also had a "signature move" of the descending seventh, first heard in the third theme group of the 1st movement and eventually developed into a hymn-like melody at the end of the finale. There's a 1994 recording that is not very good. The record also contains her Fritiof suite but for unknown reasons (the conductor has passed, otherwise I'd have approached him with the big WHY) they skip 100 (to be precise, 98) bars of the Finale, including the return of the second theme group that is orchestrated for cellos divisi à 4 and trombones (long trombone melodies were quite uncommon in 1878). A Finnish conductor recently performed both symphonies and I'm urging her to make a new recording. However, the stump is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NMFEUatskA The jump skips practically the whole recapitulation until the second development (that includes the very well crafted brass melody ascending from horns with trumpets and trombones joining).

Apparently, Norrköping Symphony has recorded Fritiof and the 1st again (we sent them the sheet music but have not heard back from them), still waiting for news about the release date. The second is out there to be decently recorded still. The Moberg (lots of other stuff by her, as well) and Aulin are available as freeware for anyone interested.

FBerwald

How and where can I purchase the disk featuring the 1st symphony?

Petteri Nieminen

Quote from: FBerwald on Saturday 04 November 2023, 04:40How and where can I purchase the disk featuring the 1st symphony?
At least Naxos direct: https://naxosdirect.fi/items/orchestral-works-560264
Might depend on you country of origin.
Also on Applestore with links to iMusic store. https://music.apple.com/us/album/aulin-moberg-andr%C3%A9e-orchestral-works/1562896799

terry martyn

I want to purchase the CD ( not a download) of the First Symphony, but I live in Spain. 

Alan Howe

The CD seems to be unavailable now, but Amazon also has the download:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B092G7PRRP/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Aulin+Moberg+Andr%C3%A9e+Orchestral+Works&qid=1699100950&sr=8-1

It's great to have Andrée's Symphony No.1 played by the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra (a top-flight orchestra). The conductor is Johannes Gustavsson. The idiom is quite distinctive - definitely of its time (1868), but engagingly melodious and featuring some surprising harmonic progressions (I'm no expert, but I know what I can hear!) The writing for strings is particularly felicitous.

Is one of the lessons here that such unfamiliar music really does benefit from first-class playing and recording?