News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Derek Bourgeois

Started by karelm, Sunday 11 December 2011, 16:37

Previous topic - Next topic

karelm

Everything I heard from the extremely prolific, Derek Bourgeois (b. 1941), I have enjoyed.  His early works written around the 1960's have a William Walton/Shostakovich/Prokofiev feel.  Some of his later works sound more like George Lloyd and Malcolm Arnold, but all are composed with skill.  I think the only reason he is less known is because he writes so much so fast, there is no time to promote, schedule a performance before he's moved on to the next thing.  He has completed 68 symphonies to date but I'm sure that will be out dated by the time I finish this post.  To me, his early works are more to my liking with their adventurousness, but I'd love to hear more than the Symphony No. 2, variations, and Trombone concerto (on BIS no less), and some brass pieces.  There are some performances on youtube but mostly in concert band arrangements and lacking the quality of a modern studio recording.

Does anyone know of any plans to record some of his finer works by some of the labels that focus on neglected repertoire?

albion

As far as I'm aware there are currently no new recordings in the pipeline, but the following works are in the BMB archive -

Symphonic Variations, Op.19 (1964)
Symphony No.2, Op.27 (1968)
Orchestral Fantasy, The Globe, Op.29 (1969)
Concerto for Bass Tuba and Orchestra, Op.38 (1973)
Dance Variations for Small Orchestra, Op.50 (1976)
Concerto for Three Trombones, Strings and Percussion, Op.56 (1977)
Triumphal March, op.59 (1978)

:)

TerraEpon

The Trombone Concerto is a big favorite, perhaps my favorite one is said 'genre' in general (though being away from home I can't remind myself what it's like!)