News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Felix Woyrsch - any opinions?

Started by Paul Barasi, Monday 12 December 2011, 16:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Barasi

Apparently there are two Woyrsch CDs: Symphony 1 and piano works. Have you any opinion of how good he is and who he sounds like, please?

Alan Howe

The Symphony is a very fine work - broadly 'Brahms plus' and thoroughly enjoyable. Unfortunately the MDG CD seems to have been deleted, although there is a reasonably priced used copy at Amazon.de...
http://www.amazon.de/Felix-Woyrsch-Symphony-u/dp/B0000021GI/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1323710483&sr=1-1

hemmesjo

Toccata Classics is issuing:

Felix WOYRSCH (Austria, 1860–Germany, 1944)
Chamber Music, Volume One
String Sextet, Op.72
Piano Quintet, Op. 66
Four Songs, Op. 2
Album Leaf, Op. 22
Stephanie Atanasov, mezzo soprano
Hamburg Chamber Players
First recordings
TOCC 0120

I figured if Martin had faith in him I should try his symphony.  It is quite good.  I'd agree, post-Brahmsian.

Dan

Mark Thomas

I'm afraid that I feel rather less positive about the Symphony than Alan does. It's certainly "Brahms plus" but I've found it melodically unmemorable and rather worthy and academic in its thorough working out of ideas. But, as I'm often reminded (not least by Alan) it's probably just me... The Symphonic Prologue with which it is coupled has rather more individuality, as I remember. I have the piano CD too, but can recall nothing about any of the pieces - which may be a judgement in itself.

M. Henriksen

I have to agree with Mark on this one. I bought the MDG-disc some years ago. Unfortunately it's just collecting dust in the shelf now. I'm sad to say that I found the music boring. But Woyrsch composed 6 additional symphonies, and they could be a lot better for all I know.

Morten

Alan Howe

I'm a sucker for this sort of work, though. I still think it's well worth a try...

M. Henriksen

Nothing wrong with that! I must confess that I would be tempted if someone released a new Woyrsch-record. I was actually expecting MDG to release all his symphonies, but that never happened.

Morten

Mark Thomas

QuoteI still think it's well worth a try...
Oh, absolutely. And if somebody issued a recording of any of his other symphonies I'd buy it because hope springs eternal.

Paul Barasi

Thanks everyone: I think I'll give Woyrsch a go.

eschiss1

and there's at least 7 symphonies by him I think - at least one choral (no, I'm not confusing him with Felix Weingartner). Also, at least 2 string quartets among other works. He's not the Wuerst of the lot, I gather. (Then again, probably neither was Richard Wuerst.)

Ilja

I received my copy of the Woyrsch 1st together with the only symphony by Fritz Volbach. They're very similar works, from roughly the same time (1906/7 and 1909, resp.), and very similar in tone and musical outlook, too: full-blooded, dramatic symphonies. I would say that Volbach is, from this evidence, the more gifted melodist; Woyrsch relies more on rhythm and harmony, but can be a bit 'foursquare', in the way that, for instance, Hamerik's Fourth Symphony (purposely) is. However, I really liked both symphonies (and still do), and for a change there is no 'finale problem' there - both finales I found most rewarding, although the Woyrsch holds together a bit better.