News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Unsung orchestras

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 13 December 2011, 13:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Very often unsung music is performed by lesser-known orchestras which do as good a job as better-known ones. So I wonder which unsung orchestras have particularly delighted forum members (in any repertoire) and why?
My (first) nomination is the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra whom I have playing Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique under Zdenek Macal on the Delos label. Particularly noteworthy are their silky strings, a plangent oboist and superb bass section.

TerraEpon

The also did one of my favorite versions of Pictures at an Exhibition (Ravel orch), though I'm pretty sure it's most because of Macal. Dvorak's 9th as well (coupled with the Requiem)

mbhaub

We have to be careful judging orchestras based on recordings. A bad recording can make the London Symphony sound like the Timbuktoo Philharmonic. And a weak orchestra can be made to sound much better than it really is with proper manipulation of the recording set up.

In the US we have quite a few 2nd tier orchestras than on a good night sound and play as well as any of the biggies. San Diego, Buffalo, Grand Rapids, Milwaukee, Colorado, Pasadena, Des Moines, Kansas City, Nashville, Indianapolis, and others are just marvelous institution even though they don't have the last ounce of virtuosity of Cleveland, Chicago and the like. The most gut-wrenching Mahler 6th I've encountered, on and off record, was played by the Tucson Symphony. Last year I heard a Sibelius 2nd in Phoenix that was the most emotional, uplifting performance imaginable -- it was up there with the Barbirolli/Royal Philharmonic recording. Most of them have made at least a few recordings to demonstrate their ability. There are so many talented players out there that even smaller orchestras can have extremely capable players. The biggest weakness is the lack of top-notch conducting talent.

Alan Howe

Quote from: mbhaub on Tuesday 13 December 2011, 23:23
The biggest weakness is the lack of top-notch conducting talent.

Good point. Macal made the NJSO play like a world-class band. He's said to be a great orchestral trainer.