News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Samuil Feinberg

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 15 December 2011, 22:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I was wondering whether anyone had any thoughts on the Russian pianist-composer Samuil Feinberg (1890-1962). I have found excerpts from the CDs of his piano sonatas on BIS, but am intrigued by the recording of his 1st Piano Concerto on Altarus. Does anyone know it?

jerfilm

His Piano Sonatas 2,5,6,11 and 12 were on Melodiya Lps many years ago.  I haven't listened to them for about the same length of time.

Jerry

Latvian

His Piano Sonata #11, from the Melodiya LP Jerry mentions, is one of my favorite pieces of piano music. It's a strangely moving, bittersweet, somewhat aloof, beautiful work.

I find the Concerti less interesting, but I have to admit I haven't listened to them in depth yet.

isokani

I know the 1st Conc quite well. Worth getting the disc. Not as traditional as the later two: it's a single movement, at times challenging piece, and really very hard for the pianist who does an excellent job.

I've played sonatas nos.1, 2, 6, 7 and quite a few smaller pieces. I will try to find my nos.2 + 7 from a concert last year in the Moscow Conservatory, for a festival for the 125th anniv. of SF's birth. Yes, it was scary playing there since several of his pupils were in the audience (Merzhanov, Bunin, Ignatieva etc).

Alan Howe

Thank you for your comments - very helpful! What would you say about particular sonatas?

isokani

Well, in terms of language they become more modernist towards nos.4-7, then less so. However, the writing becomes increasingly more subtle (even if there is a less complex surface) as time goes on: no.1 was written ca.1914, no.12 1960.
My favourites are: 2, 6, 7, 9, 12.  1 and 8 are also good.

Alan Howe

Thanks very much for your expert guidance!