News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Victor Hely-Hutchinson

Started by kolaboy, Sunday 18 December 2011, 00:45

Previous topic - Next topic

kolaboy

Well, it's not officially Christmas until we here in rural NC watch the BBC TV adaptation of "The Box Of Delights". And as a consequence I find myself annually curious and searching for a bit more music by Victor Hely-Hutchinson (whose Carol Symphony is used as the theme music for the aforementioned drama).
Has anyone here heard any substantial piece of his - apart from the Carol Symphony? I see there's a "South African Suite", as well as a "Symphony for Small Orchestra"...

A Happy Holimass and Merry Chrismadays to all who celebrate such :)

Jimfin

I don't know if you'd call it substantial, but Dutton included a jazzy little piece of his called 'The Young Idea' on a CD of Montagie Phillips' piano concertos. Otherwise I don't have anything apart from the Carol Symphony, which I listened to only today

edurban

The Young Idea is certainly a delight, and says all it needs to say in 8 minutes.  This might seem like too short a timing to justify the purchase price, but the 2 marvelous Phillips concertos (the 2nd is a particular favorite, with its big nobilmente tune in the last movement) make this one of Dutton's most appealing releases.

David

Jimfin

Dutton never cease to amaze me. I keep pinching myself every time they release something: I used to have dreams about these sorts of releases.