News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Dvorak - Suitner or Davis?

Started by FBerwald, Tuesday 27 December 2011, 05:02

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

Given the huge amount of Dvorak Complete Symphony cycles out, which is the best set? Also between the sets by Suitner and Davis which is better?

Balapoel

ArturPS

I don't know THE BEST, but Kubelik's (DG) and Neumann (Supraphon) are superb, imo. On the Suitner x Davies question, I haven't heard any of them, and I have the same doubt as you, I shall be watching this closely :) .

Delicious Manager

Which is 'best' is surely such a matter of personal taste (and mine might be very different from yours) and, as such, my views might be meaningless to you. That having been said, I second the recommendation to try István Kertész's pioneering Decca set with the LSO (try the tone poems too!). Almost concurrent with this set and with the same orchestra was Witold Rowicki - a series which has many champions.

Of more recent sets, Libor Pešek's set of symhonies has attracted some glowing accolades.

Mark Thomas

Quite right, there's no right answer as it's bound to be a personal preference but, FWIW, I always come back to Kertesz. His cycle has been my benchmark since it was my introduction to the symphonies forty years ago and I keep returning to it. DM mentions the contemporary Rowicki readings, but I've always found them rather forced and lacking in warmth.

Alan Howe

Kertesz's set is indeed excellent. Suitner, though - who died in 2010 aged 87 - was one of those underrated conductors who often came up trumps in the standard repertoire. His Brahms set is equally unfussy, direct and supremely musical.